Thread: Shortcuts And Uninstalling

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Deleting a shortcut on the desktop will speed up the startup wouldn't it? Can I just delete off the icon to recycle bin if i want startup at faster rate. I'm running on Windows XP home edition. Another problem is that I downloaded this freeware
    'Shortcut to FontMagic' from http://www.geocities.com/~macweb/fontmagic/ and i now want to uninstall it, but can't find unistall function and does not appear in Control Panel/
    Add and Remove Programs. How can I go about uninstalling this program now.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Deleting a shortcut from your desktop doesnt really affect your startup. Its the programs and services that start on startup that creates a difference.

Viper has a good section which services to disable Here is the link.

You can get rid of useless programs from the startup by going to msconfig.
    Start > Run
    msconfig

You can check which programs are running on the startup and their registry keys if you go to
    Start > Run
    msinfo32

Software Environment > Startup Programs

Edit: If you dont find any uninstaller in Add Remove in Control Panel and in its directory then check the website for instructions. If nothing is there then just delete the folder where its installed. (C:&#092;Program Files&#092; <Folder>)
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by 99shassan@8 January 2004 - 23:44
    Deleting a shortcut on the desktop will speed up the startup wouldn&#39;t it?
    No, why should it