Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Xp Home Or Xp Pro

Originally posted by ricochet@9 January 2004 - 18:18
    With dell you get a recovery disk. With a hp you only get a recovery partition in fat32

And yes go with xp pro...
    Those dell recovery discs are gay...Same as the recovery partition...buy a real machine with a real XP cd is the only way to go..None of those $300 J.C Penney discounted Pc's

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Install whatever you like. Just make sure you dont delete that manufacturer recovery partitition. That partition has very important drivers and stuff specifically for your machine........... besides the shitty preinstalled o.s. thats on the partition as well.

Even if you never recover your system using that partition. You still have to keep it on your pc if you want to still have a valid warranty and get tech support.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by 3223+9 January 2004 - 03:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3223 &#064; 9 January 2004 - 03:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by DVD PIRATE III@9 January 2004 - 02:28
    <!--QuoteBegin-scottwile
    @9 January 2004 - 14:15
    windows xp home came with my new computer but i also have xp pro. what should i use? its a hp a320n. when i decide to clear the my HD will it start back up with xp home? just incase i put on XP pro and do like will i be able to get back home? becasue my pc didn&#39;t come with an XP home cd.
    thanks

Your comp came with one of those gay ass recovery discs?..those are the worst type of comps available...youll have endless trouble if any thing fucks up on the comp as there customer service is non-existent...Go with XP Pro
    not true. mine came with 1 and i got a DELL. its got 1 of the best customer service.[/b][/quote]

for a prefab comps, dell is ok (still sux compared 2 a real comp doe)

but if dell gave you a normal PC, with a normal instalation, u&#39;d hardly need the customer service......... lol
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by scottwile@9 January 2004 - 00:15
    windows xp home came with my new computer but i also have xp pro. what should i use? its a hp a320n. when i decide to clear the my HD will it start back up with xp home? just incase i put on XP pro and do like will i be able to get back home? becasue my pc didn&#39;t come with an XP home cd.
    thanks
    I&#39;ve got a HP and it serves me well

stick with your XP home, I don&#39;t think there is any major advantage to upgrading to XP pro

enjoy your new computer

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by Keikan@9 January 2004 - 06:04
    Another reason NOT to buy a brand name pc.

Anyways reformating on a brand name pc is not a good idea because you&#39;ll have a hell time with drivers I think.
    I don&#39;t see how that can be true

Installing drivers would be exactly the same on a built PC or a home made PC.

They don&#39;t have different drivers you know...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    @ Mad Cat

Its very true. The drivers with the manufacturer recovery partition or disk are for that specific computer and are very different. There are hardly any generic drivers with that just ones made especially for that particular pc.

If you have ever completely formatted a brand new computer and removed the o.s. that was on it when you bought it then you may have a coouple of compatibilty issues or so. Its happen to me before, but eventually all I did was find the exact drivers I need in the recovery partition and installed them instead of using generic drivers like a default install of xp will use.

In fact a lot of recovery "disk" will say in fine print that the disk can only be used to install the o.s. for that type of computer/manufacturer.

@ AndrewBarker

What a misleading comment.

There is a huge difference in xp home and pro.

File and folder compression and encryption (not at the same time)
    In xp pro you can manage group policy settings and snap-ins on a domain instead of only being able to configure "local" security policies.

WTF, xp home cant even join a domain, at least it was not designed to and will not let you unless you get some unsupported tweak from a third party that sucks anyway.. Some people try to do it but it can yield undesired results on a primary domain controller.

In my opinion xp home sucks and if you had the chance to upgrade to xp pro and did not do it, then your making a big mistake.

I mean even if you did not need a lot of thoose features you still would be a fool to run a "limited" o.s. when you can have your cake and eat it to.

Id rather have it and not need it, rather then need it and not have it.

Xp home...............yuk.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I was referring to an average home user

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    @ Shn..........

Very informative mate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12