Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Athlon Xp 2600+ Barton

Poster
    Do you really feel the difference when you OC the 2600+?, i have one of those and i would like to know if its worth the risk of damaging it...?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y@9 January 2004 - 18:53
    Do you really feel the difference when you OC the 2600+?, i have one of those and i would like to know if its worth the risk of damaging it...?
    *the quick response to the +and - of overclocking.

1. Yes, if you overclock it to a 3200+ level, you will notice a difference. On things like OS loads, games perfomance, OS load from hibernation in XP (the bar zooms across) mp3 encoding, and pretty much anything else that even remotely uses the processor, you will have a performance increase. If you notice it, or care, depends.

2. It doesnt actually damage the processor per say, because your 2600+, could have easily been a 3200+, or a 2600+ alike. (IF YOU PROCESSOR IS ON THE BARTON CORE) Pretty much all Bartons, or any chips on the same based core can achieve similar clock speeds. When they start out they all have clear slates, but AMD and whoever decides what they need to be, usually to meet production constraints.

3. Well, running your processor at a higher speed than normal will lower the life I guess. But in that same respect, if you ran it lower than its clocked speed, it would theoretically last longer. However, your processor will probably last longer than you desire to use it as your primary machine. Plus the AMD warrnanties are like 3 years I believe, so if it breaks, you can always just send it in for a new one I believe.

3b. Yeah I know, by overclocking you void the warranty, and nullify your ability to replace it, but once again, only theoretically. There is no way to prove that you overclocked it, even if you set it on fire. Also remember, using anything other than the stock heatsink and fan, or even applying most thermalpastes thechnically void the warranty. So you see my point....

4. Why people overclock? Well, people dont always overclock to squeeze 3 less seconds out of the hibernation load time for XP. For most of us overclockers, its merely getting more for our money, as well as a constant tinkering process to try and get the most out of our processor. Its why a guy will sit under his car, or hover under the hood for hours. Tinkering, for better performance, overall.

Any other questions?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    How do i know if its Barton?, Being a 2600+ makes it a barton?, the day i bought all the parts i was so excited that i built the system up and didnt even read the documents

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by tHe LiNk@9 January 2004 - 14:13
    Also, what kind of cooling do you use to keep the temperatures down. I was looking at some thermaltake heatsink fans and case fans, just wondering what you got and what temperatures you hover around.
    I have used (in order of appearance) the stock AMD heatsink, AMD HS w/80mm fan, a Zalman 7000cu HSF and am currently water cooled.
    With the stock HS with the big fan and the Zalman I was able to get down to the mid 30's at 100% CPU usage.
    With my current H2O rig
    I'm around 31-32C at full whack.
    I have a TT XaserIII and have taken great pains to eliminate hotspots and manage case airflow...even with the water cooling I have 9 fans going.
    From what I've read in other forums, if you can hit 40-45C at full load while air cooled, your temps are typical and acceptable.

EditCygnuz...
    The benchmark scores can be upped dramatically while OCed, but can I physically tell the difference?
    NO.
    Perhaps were I a big gamer I could see more manifest proof of the higher clock speeds.
    But I'm not.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    This idea that if one person can overclock a chip tha it means that someone else will be able to do the same is untrue. Each chip need to be tested and evaluated on it's own.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+10 January 2004 - 00:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 10 January 2004 - 00:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tHe LiNk@9 January 2004 - 14:13
    Also, what kind of cooling do you use to keep the temperatures down. I was looking at some thermaltake heatsink fans and case fans, just wondering what you got and what temperatures you hover around.
    I have used (in order of appearance) the stock AMD heatsink, AMD HS w/80mm fan, a Zalman 7000cu HSF and am currently water cooled.
    With the stock HS with the big fan and the Zalman I was able to get down to the mid 30&#39;s at 100% CPU usage.
    With my current H2O rig
    I&#39;m around 31-32C at full whack.
    I have a TT XaserIII and have taken great pains to eliminate hotspots and manage case airflow...even with the water cooling I have 9 fans going.
    From what I&#39;ve read in other forums, if you can hit 40-45C at full load while air cooled, your temps are typical and acceptable.

EditCygnuz...
    The benchmark scores can be upped dramatically while OCed, but can I physically tell the difference?
    NO.
    Perhaps were I a big gamer I could see more manifest proof of the higher clock speeds.
    But I&#39;m not. [/b][/quote]
    EditCygnuz...
    NO.
    But I&#39;m not.
    Thank you&#33;&#33;&#33;

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Cygnuz,
    It&#39;s easy to tell if you have a Barton or T-bred.
    The difference between the two is the size of the L2 cache...Barton has 512 and T-bred has 256.
    Aida 32 will show you.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@10 January 2004 - 00:34
    Cygnuz,
    It&#39;s easy to tell if you have a Barton or T-bred.
    The difference between the two is the size of the L2 cache...Barton has 512 and T-bred has 256.
    Aida 32 will show you.
    I just checked with the AIDA32 and it says that it is a barton

Thanks for all your help&#33;

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Then you have plenty of headroom to work with, seeing as how its a Barton.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Yeah just go slow and steady, You will find the boundires of your proccesor.

As far as damaging your proccesor(mind you i am no crazy chip maker)
    My belief is that as long as the CPU doesn&#39;t melt, it can go higher, to make a cpu stable you put more energy into it, if you can then get rid of that energy, then it will get higher clock speed. I have found the above true when using my heatpipe, i could literally just keep going and going on the oc, however there are certianly limits, be carefull, go slow, and don&#39;t be to risky...

My thoughts, i hope they help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast