Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amd Athlon Xp-m 2800+

Poster

P.S. i just notice we gave the poster the specs of a 2800 barton, does the 2800 mobility differ in any way?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    BANNED
    Not off-topic.... we ARE in Hardwareworld, you see?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+11 January 2004 - 23:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 11 January 2004 - 23:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DWk@11 January 2004 - 14:18
    John are u serious? Triggered outside by the company. For example, the customer that bought the computer and the service call the company and say "my computer was stolen, please find it", so the company starts pinging the device, so when the device goes online, they go into the computer.
    Pinging it? As in using its IP address?

An IP address that is gotten from your ISP, not from your Computer?

Umm, next explination plz. [/b][/quote]
    I think it&#39;s the device that sends out a signal. The tracing company gets alerted to it&#39;s whereabouts. So when a laptop is reported stolen they just monitor and wait for that signal.

Anyway, I will not give all the details. I don&#39;t want to help anyone to deactivate such a device. That&#39;s not what this discussion board is about.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    so every laptop willl send a signal if fitted with this device, but the trakign companys will only nonitor for one that are reported stolen, so the laptop itself doesnt know its stolen.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Double Agent
    haha we dont need u to tell us about it virtual

this info is plenty on the internet

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Originally posted by Mr. Elmo@12 January 2004 - 15:59

P.S. i just notice we gave the poster the specs of a 2800 barton, does the 2800 mobility differ in any way?
    LOL yeah no shit&#33;&#33;

from Athlon Processors to stolen Laptops

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Double Agent
    ok here&#39;s one, software solution:

http://www.absolute-protect.com/index.htm

Is there a chance your computer will be lost or stolen? Read computer crime statistics

How does it work?

The software must be installed on your computer before the loss or theft.
    After installation it will start automatically when you reboot your computer. Also it will perform following tasks:

Every 23 hours it collects IP address of the computer and sends it to Absolute Protect Monitoring Center which saves that information. You can access monitoring report online or that report can be e-mailed to specified address;
    Additionally it silently calls specified phone number(s), so the new location of the computer can be additionally detected using Call-ID.
    In case your computer is lost or stolen click on red button below and fill in "Theft report" so emergency monitoring will be activated.

When location of the computer is detected we forward this information to local police or your security company (if you specify) so that they can obtain a warrant to go in and recover computer.
    To find out more read the full description .

There are 2 versions: Standard and PRO

Another ONE

http://www.recoverpc.co.uk/

The software is installed on the computers hard disk an does not interfere with normal operation.

If the computer is stolen and later connected to a phone line, it uses the computers modem to call the owners number.

The owner can then dial 1471 or use caller ID equipment to reveal the telephone number where the machine is now located. This information can then be passed to the police.

As well as recovering the computer equipment, there is a good chance of recovering other items stolen at the same time.

Like, how dumb is this? like i am gonna plug my stolen computer to a phone jack&#33;&#33;&#33;

dumbasses. still looking for that "hardware" solution virtual is talking about.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Double Agent
    more "software" solutions

http://www.lowendmac.com/ibook/02/0315.html#4

this one is even more stupid, it sends a "stealth" email, like my firewall isn&#39;t gonna catch that&#33;&#33;&#33;

i can easily do it with a keylogger and have it bypass the za firewall

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Double Agent
    now the more promising ones i&#39;ve seen are gps solutions. as for how r they gonna plant a gps receiver onto ur laptop without the stealer&#39;s attention i am not sure.

of course u&#39;ll have to buy a gps device small nuff to conceal it INSIDE the laptop and i doubt anybody will have the skillz to do that.

unless the manufacturers do it in their laptops.

the most viable solutions i&#39;ve seen are software with their "call home" features, which is highly unreliable in my opinion.

of course there are a lot of dumb thiefs so that solution might work after all.

http://www.lazlow.com/refdocs/tfref071103.wax

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    @james_bond_rulez,

I will ask you to stop posting more information that could help people bypass these security features.

Stop posting weeknesses in those systems.

As I already said earlier, this board is not for that.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast