Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Your Firewall Stop This?

Firewall companies patch there products, then the script kiddies patch theres.. B)
    The point of this exercise was to show people the possibilities that are out there.
    Imagine that this firewall tester I posted here was a key gen that youd been given to use for some software or game etc...you click on the key gen to generate a key, and presto you just got OWNED
    Its a very viable possibility..
    Out of all the people that tested here only one person kicked up a fuss over it, but dont worry about him hes been demodded cause of a personality disorder(ie, hes never wrong, no matter what)
    you can be your own judge on the possibilities and realities

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #92
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    But is switching firewalls, like some suggested they might do, a good thing? Some firewalls performed better at responding to this threat but no doubt some of the ones that failed may be better at responding to other threats and indeed the next threat that appears.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #93
    Thats entirely your choice....I cant recommend the perfect firewall to you, only you know what youll feel comfortable with..
    Tomorrow it'll be a different virus,exploit, trojan or whatever.The script kiddies/hackers etc keep the firewall creators in a full time job, but at the end of the day theres no absolute safety in a firewall.your firewall might be secure today but by tomorrow morning some one may have written a script that renders your firewall useless and that is a big part of reality in this day and age..
    Dont stress too much about this little script I posted mate...

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #94
    Originally posted by sek612
    But is switching firewalls, like some suggested they might do, a good thing? Some firewalls performed better at responding to this threat but no doubt some of the ones that failed may be better at responding to other threats and indeed the next threat that appears.
    I would advise switching whenever the need arises. Attacks keep on getting more sophisticated and this one is definitely one of the more insidous I've come across. Afaik all firewalls have covered the same bases with regards to previous threats.

Imho its the ability to deal with this new one that sets firewalls apart at the moment.

The rest of them will catch up in time and then a new attack will appear and we'll all have to switch to the first firewall that can deal with it. Its a bit like an arms race, you have to keep up to date with the latest attack otherwise theres not much point in having a firewall at all.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #95
    all this thing is a trojan...

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #96
    I take it youve just joined the ranks of FAILEDIts designed to test the outbound security of firewalls..As you can see from the thread over 90% of the forum members that participated failed.So dont feel too bad cause your not alone...

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #97
    Originally posted by TheFilePirater
    all this thing is a trojan...
    All..?

There was a case in the UK recently where a guy got accused of downloading kiddy pron. When they examined his computer they found that it was infected with a trojan and that someone had uploaded it onto his PC.

He lost his job and his family. I can provide you with a link to the news story if you like.

Apart from that theres more 'normal' stuff. All your passwords and maybe your credit card info as well if anyone in your house uses the PC for internet shopping.

Security is important

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #98
    well, theres no such thing as security on the internet, as long as your pluged in theres always a threat, no matter how many firewalls and anti-virus you run...its always possible

theres only one way to be completey secure, that is to disconnect completey from the internet

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #99
    Poster
    Originally posted by 99shassan@10 January 2004 - 17:27
    Should I get Zonealarm Pro from Kazaa and what is the latest version? I can't get on their website. Same reason as I posted before about being unable to go on the symantec website.
    You really should check your HOST file to see what it's blocking.

In your address bar enter 206.204.52.5 for symantec
    and 208.185.174.44 for zone labs

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #100
    Originally posted by TheFilePirater
    well, theres no such thing as security on the internet, as long as your pluged in theres always a threat, no matter how many firewalls and anti-virus you run...its always possible

theres only one way to be completey secure, that is to disconnect completey from the internet
    That is true but..

It doesnt mean you should leave yourself wide open to any script kiddie who can copy and paste DLL hijacking code into a compiler.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast