Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappy Speed Using K++ With A Router Installed

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    I dl some of the most popular songs, and i get 10-30kb/s when i usually get around 150-200kb/s!!! i have a router installed, and the speed dropped after i installed the router. how do i configure my rounter to make it faster? i already allowed the port that klite uses in my router's configs. y is it still so slow?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    google for Kanat

use this, and forward the port that it finds...

theres a complete guide on the website, once you find it
    <insert signature here>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@10 January 2004 - 14:30
    google for Kanat

use this, and forward the port that it finds...

theres a complete guide on the website, once you find it
    wat does it do?

edit: hey hey&#33; nice&#33; thanks&#33; so this will increase my speeds back to normal?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I had the same problem once I installed a router. I think I have my problem solved for the most part by switching my LAN IP and using KaNat. There is a thread discussing this in the Problems and Questions section of this forum also.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    it says:
    KaNAT was unable to detect LAN IP.
    and do i have to keep this running when i use kazaa?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Filesharinghelp.com
    KaNAT Homepage

Check out the support forum also B)

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Abu, what is the make and model of the router you are using? Also, what is the IP that the router assigns to your computer? And finally, yes...you have to run KaNat while you have KaZaa running in order to get the benefits. If you&#39;ve already solved your problems...totally disregard this post

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    For BEST performance using a router with KL++...
    DO NOT USE ip port 1214 for KL++ AND DO NOT USE the 192.168.0.x address space for your LAN&#33;

Use a &#39;random&#39; ip port in KL++ somewhere in the 2000-65535 range (might want to check to see if anything else MIGHT use it online) and port-forward that ip port at your router to your computer.

To change your LAN&#39;s ip, you have to change it on the router and possibly every computer as well. If you leave it to the default 192.168.0.x values, then you will be "DoS attacked" by a bug in Kazaa/KL++ which tries to directly connect to LAN ip addresses if the same range as your (LAN) ip addres range instead of trying to translate or drop LAN ip addresses.

Then get the latest version of KaNAT and have it use ASM mode to autoreplace the LAN ip with the WAN ip every 10 seconds or quicker.

KaNAT can be a real cpu hog if you&#39;re experiencing lots of KL++ made connections per second. (Like lots of downloads with lots of sources or lots of invisible upload requests.)

Even when you&#39;re not using KaNAT your connection will be better than MOST routers.

After doing all this, your connection should NOT be firewalled from KL++&#39;s point of view and you should NOT see red X&#39;s in KL++ searches.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    yea. ok. u guys are confusing me. here&#39;s my current probs:
    1. my ip is not the default. i changed it.
    2. i only have 1 comp linked to my router rite now
    3. y can&#39;t it detect an ip add?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Most likely, the reason KaNat can&#39;t figure out your local IP is because the one you are using isn&#39;t one of the "standard" addressess. For KaNat to correctly grab your IP it has to be one of these:

192.168.x.x
    172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
    10.x.x.x
    169.254.x.x

I chose a different IP range at first and had the same problem with KaNat that you are having...think I was using 168.192.1.1 Once I changed my IP to 169.254.1.100, KaNat worked great. I also use port 31666 for KaZaa and have that forwarded in my router config.

Hope this helps ya.

P.S. Switeck- That standard post you make is what got me on track to fixing my speed problems. Great info. I suggest you add the IP ranges that KaNat likes to it though. That is where I got stumped for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast