Thread: Drive Letters

Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    I had 2 drives called c and d,c was only4 gb and I have bought a 80 gb today and removed the 4 gb which was c,replaced it with d,now I have c 40 gb,then 2 optical drivesd and e and my new drive is f,is there any way of making f back to d,I hope this makes sense to someone as i'm writing it after a day of pissing about on the comp and a bottle of wine to take the edge off the stress

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Start -> Run -> type compmgmt.msc -> OK

which starts the Computer Management program

in that program, go to Storage -> Disk Management

then it will display all of the partitions/drives, and you can right-click on a partition/drive and choose "Change Drive Letter And Paths"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@10 January 2004 - 18:48

then it will display all of the partitions/drives, and you can right-click on a partition/drive and choose "Change Drive Letter And Paths"
    Have you actually done that?

I just did it, because i hadnt heard of that working,

And got the (windows cannot modifty the letter of your system volume or boot volume.)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    oops

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+10 January 2004 - 21:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ &#064; 10 January 2004 - 21:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@10 January 2004 - 18:48

And got the (windows cannot modifty the letter of your system volume or boot volume.) [/b][/quote]
    it works for every drive/partition EXCEPT for the one that Windows is installed on. i.e. it can be used to change the letters of your CD/DVD-Roms, floppy/ZIP drive, extra hard drives, but (assuming Windows is installed on C not the C: drive.

the original post wasn&#39;t 100% clear to me, whether he wanted to change his Windows drive&#39;s letter. if that&#39;s the case, i think he&#39;s prolly just stuck with the way it is. i guess it&#39;s sort of annoying to have the Windows drive labelled as something other than C:, but as far as i know there&#39;s nothing really wrong with that-- Windows 2000/XP shouldn&#39;t really care either way, which letter is assigned to the Windows drive.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+10 January 2004 - 22:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 10 January 2004 - 22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@10 January 2004 - 18:48

And got the (windows cannot modifty the letter of your system volume or boot volume.) [/b][/quote]
    Yea it works. However, if you change a HDD letter, you will probably have to reboot for it to take effect. If you change a CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM), it&#39;ll change right away.

This is due to the fact that the HDD are being used at the moment (by the running processes) and they cannot be cut off.

w0ot

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Bra1n1ac you are a bloody genius,one for being able to understand my first post and secondly for giving me the soloution I was after,once again thanks a bunch

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.