Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help With Hard Drive

Poster
    Originally posted by Rock Tonic Juice Magic@11 January 2004 - 08:25
    howdya see what resources are in use
    open task manager (by pressing ctrl+alt+delete) and move task manager over to one side of your monitor.
    if you look at task manager, you'll be able to see what percentage of the cpu is currently being used and how much ram is being used (called "commit charge")

then put in a cd into your cd drive and open the contents up into a small window and open the destination drive up into a small window

then you should be able to transfer files from the cd drive to the external hard drive and keep a look out on the cpu and ram situation...

here's an example of a transfer on my own computer

you can see the two windows i have open (simulating the cd drive and the external hard drive) and task manager

you can also see that approximately 20% of my cpu is being used for this transfer and that approximately 270MB of ram is being used...
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    6% of cpu usage
    155 mb ram

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rock Tonic Juice Magic@11 January 2004 - 08:52
    6% of cpu usage
    155 mb ram
    ok, that's good aswell...

usb1.1 is rated at 13Mbps max. that should mean it would take around 7 minutes or so if it were working at 100% efficiency.
    of course, in the real world it won't work at 100% efficiency and might not even get to 85% or so
    if it were running at 85% efficiency, it would take closer to 9 minutes, but nowhere near the 30 minutes you're talking about...

how long does it take to copy a 700MB file from your cd drive to one of your other hard drives? how long does it take to transfer a 700MB file from one of your hard drives to the external drive?
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    700mb file from a cd drive to a hard drive takes like 4 min but when i try 700mb files from cd drive to external hard drive it estimates times of 25 min+ [same with hard drive to external hard drive transfer] .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rock Tonic Juice Magic@11 January 2004 - 08:58
    700mb file from a cd drive to a hard drive takes like 4 min but when i try 700mb files from cd drive to external hard drive it estimates times of 25 min+.
    do you know what file system the external drive is running?

if not, just go to the external drive from "my computer" and click on a blank area within the drive, then look at the left hand side of the window in the "file system" category...

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rock Tonic Juice Magic@11 January 2004 - 09:01
    NTFS
    well, i think i've exhausted my admittedly very limited knowledge bank on this problem...

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    think i should uninstall the softwar and start over?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rock Tonic Juice Magic@11 January 2004 - 09:05
    think i should uninstall the softwar and start over?
    i suppose it's worth a try...

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost
    Originally posted by Rock Tonic Juice Magic@11 January 2004 - 08:52
    i baught a maxtor 200gb external hard drive today. i installed it correctly but when i try to copy my movies from cdrs to my new hard drive its does it very slow. like for a 700mb file it takes 30 min. i dont think thats right.  do you guys know why its doing that. plz help
    ok rock, 4th gen gave you was just trying to get some
    data for your system to try to answer why it was so slow.
    it looks ok...it probably is your usb connection.

you have a maxtor one touch 200gig hd
    I believe your Sony viao has usb 1.1

your maxtor has the ability for usb 2.0 and firewire
    my suggestion is if you have a open pci slot , get
    a product like a adaptec usb 2.0/1394 combo card

1.1 usb = 12MBps
    2.0 usb = 480 MBps
    firewire 1394= 400 MBps

for your purpose...recording/viewing movies from this drive
    you should go with firewire, then you can daisy-chain additional
    external hard drives and your system will treat them as internal ones.

it is the small things that usually drive us mad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123