Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File Naming Standards For The Sharing Community

File Naming standards for the file sharing community

I know that there are other people out there that get frustrated when trying to
    find files. I made this file to make it easier for all of us to find what we're
    looking for regardless of what application we're using. Every one has their own
    preference when it comes to naming files, but this bites us in the butt when it
    comes to searching. We end up having to just enter the main name and then
    have to slog through the results trying to find the one we want.

Whether you sort your results by file name or title it can be maddening to hit
    sort and then find that they don't sort as well as we'd like simply because
    someone renamed the file and put a dot instead of a dash or took a space out.
    A good example of this would be TV episodes. There are a few main ways to
    name them but many variations on them. For instance when someone puts the
    name, space, dash, and the episode number. Then another user will take the
    spaces out. This then changes where the file ends up when sorting results.

E.g.

Alias - 1x06 - Reckoning
    Alias- 1x06- Reckoning
    Alias.-1x06 -Reckoning
    Alias.1x06.Reckoning
    Alias 1x06 Reckoning

These would all end up in different places in the search results instead of
    being in order with the rest like this.

Alias - 1x01 - Truth Be Told
    Alias - 1x02 - So It Begins...
    Alias - 1x03 - Parity
    Alias - 1x04 - A Broken Heart
    Alias - 1x05 - Doppelganger
    Alias - 1x06 - Reckoning
    Alias - 1x07 - Color-Blind
    Alias - 1x08 - Time Will Tell
    Alias - 1x09 - Mea Culpa

If the File is just one space off you might end up with something like this.

Alias - 1x02 - So It Begins...
    Alias - 1x03 - Parity
    Alias - 1x04 - A Broken Heart
    Alias - 1x05 - Doppelganger
    Alias - 1x07 - Color-Blind
    Alias - 1x08 - Time Will Tell
    Alias - 1x09 - Mea Culpa
    Alias- 1x06 - Reckoning

It may not look like much of a problem, but when searching through years of
    episodes with a few versions of each episode being shared, it can be tedious as
    hell searching through hundreds to thousands of results trying to find the one
    you want.

Of course I only use Alias as an example, I can't in good faith suggest that
    people download copyrighted material

Some just use the number, some use just the episode name so that it makes
    it hard to get the best results when searching. If a search language could be
    used similar to something like google. Just being able to use the OR function
    would make it much easier to search. This way you wouldn't be committed to
    one search criteria. E.g. Alias 1x06 OR 106 OR Reckoning but since that option
    isn't around yet We've got to do something else.

So The solution is we the entire file sharing world can come together on this
    and have a standard way of naming files and NOT to change file names and
    titles.

Now don't get the wrong idea. I don't think everyone should do things my way,
    but the standard has to start somewhere. Why not here? I don't really think
    there is a best way as long as we all use the same one. I haven't seen anyone
    else post something like this (I'm sure they have in one form or another) so I
    thought I'd write out something comprehensive so that we can all get onto the
    same page. I think we should all be able to agree on this. If we can stick to
    this exactly, it will work, spaces and all. I've tried to go with the most common
    ways. Of course this goes along with entering the info in the proper places like
    "album" "artist" "category"

File Naming Standards for The Whole File Sharing Community

For Episodes

Series - 1x01 - episode name

E.g.:

"Any extra info after the episode name."

For Music

Song - artist

"Any extra info after the artists name."

For documents

Author - Title

"Any extra info after the authors name."

If people can go into their shared folder and rename as many files as possible
    with at least the first part of the file and title names using this standard we'll
    be good to go.

I think the rest of the file types are pretty much self evident. These types
    seem to have the most variation. If anyone feels that there are other file types
    that need more of a standard just say so and I'm sure this post can be edited
    to suit. The trick is just choosing one way and sticking to it.

Entering anything after the standard naming is up to the person putting the
    file up for sharing of course, as long as we all start the title name and file
    name this way it will work.

There is the problem of differentiating between the many versions of
    the same file, as there is usually more that just one person adding new files.
    To help with this just go by this standard and simply add something at the end
    of the file name like an initial or something to make it unique. This way there
    aren't many versions of the same file with exactly the same file name.

If everyone could put this whole post as a text file in there shared folder as
    well as put in the text below into the description part of the file info. So that
    those who don't visit forums can get the message. It might be a good idea to
    add it in the set up file to file sharing applications as well.

The file size can be put in when we have a verified file and hash link. I don't
    know how to do hash links etc.. so if someone could take care of that stuff it
    would be great. I see people doing so much work that everyone benefits from, I
    thought I should do what little I could. Hopefully one day I'll learn programming.

Put something like this in the description box of popular files:

***ATTENTION!!***

New file naming standards for all file sharers

Search in documents for this file name "File Naming standards.txt" file

size=_____ or go to this link for the info "link to this thread"

If we can get one file verified as well as a hash link so that we know
    everyone's all getting the same info. You know that there will be those who
    put a number of fakes out there to try and keep us from coming together on
    this. Also if People could copy this and repost it at other forums as well a link
    to this thread so people can verify the info is the same. If the place where you
    want to post this won't let you post this much text then just give them just
    give them link to this one or some other forum that will. And if someone wants
    to create a file out of this and host it that would be great. I've spent all of
    spare time I have just to write and post this.*include everything in this post to
    this point if posting in other places. I've been wanting to do it for ages. Maybe
    this post could be pinned wherever it would belong if people seem onboard
    with it.* B)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Every one has their own preference when it comes to naming files, but this bites us in the butt when it
    Decent post, but this is generally a FT quirk. Renaming files in other apps like eMule (and even FT to a certain extent) is not a problem as long as the file itself is not altered, thus leaving the hash intact.

Besides, u might be more apt to get support if u started with a smaller post that looked for the input of others. Maybe I've got a short attention span, but it read too much like a sermon and I tuned out after a couple of paragraphs.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Besides, u might be more apt to get support if u started with a smaller post that looked for the input of others. Maybe I've got a short attention span, but it read too much like a sermon and I tuned out after a couple of paragraphs. 
    Yes I know. When I start writing I usually end up having too much to say for forum posts. There are also people out there that may not realize the necessity for a file naming standard for all apps.

As for the input from others, I'm all for it. The reason I just put a way to name them is because we need to find one way and stick to it. We can sit here and debate for weeks about which is the best way. These aren't necessarily the only ways to do it, but they are very common, so I figure most of us should be able to agree on them and work to make it happen instead of endless debates about spaces, dashes, episode numbers and which should go before what. Does it really matter as long as it's clear what the file is? I think consistency is more important.

As for hash links, I only use them for the file name and file size. I've never had one actually work for me. I have much better results just doing my own search for the file. I realize however that many seem to prefer to use them so I added that in there for them. There is also the problem that hash links are good for one verified file. They aren't any good if someone wants to just sit down and do a simple search for a new episode of something. If people are looking for a number of files from a music artist or a TV episode at once they have to search through many results for find what they want. Consistency in file naming makes life much easier in these cases.

B)

P.S. Just what is an FT quirk?

P.P.S This would be a good example of a short post when I'm offering up my opinion, or in this case a reply. I'm used to posting in forums where we have long debates about social and political issues. I recently visited a thread I started back in 2001 and people are still debating on it.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by Nost@11 January 2004 - 23:12

P.S. Just what is an FT quirk?

As in the fasttrack network which is kazaa,
    Kazaa is crap thou...
    better to just use an other program than waste anymore time with kazaa.

Try overnet clean http://myimages.fourvalve.com/overnetlite/ with the hash links at http://www.sharereactor.com

or bittorent http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/ with the torrent links at
    http://www.suprnova.org/ http://novasearch.net

you'll find you get far better speeds and the hash/torrent links work.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I totally agree with what you're saying. My PC is so clean and organised, even my friends are impressed I can find, say an mp3 file among 2000.

Here's a couple of screenshots to prove my point...

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    internet.news
    I totally agree with you - I have many MP3s not well organised and correctly named, I will do this probably if I have enough time sometimes If I am not going to die before...

I tried it already, but... not managed all the music...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    internet.news
    Originally posted by guit_steel@11 January 2004 - 23:05
    Every one has their own preference when it comes to naming files, but this bites us in the butt when it
    Decent post, but this is generally a FT quirk. Renaming files in other apps like eMule (and even FT to a certain extent) is not a problem as long as the file itself is not altered, thus leaving the hash intact.

In K-Lite Files are being recognized also by its size as I saw some video clips with different name but same size being all mentioned with more users...

But naming is important for finding something...

I am happy to have cataloged all my stuff of 70GB, but sometimes it is difficult to find something by a search. The biggest database could be better if it would be organised.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I suggest downloading TagScanner and removing ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags to clean up all the crap from them. I have Winamp playing my files by filename only, and because I've organised them so carefully (believe me it took time) I enjoy my music playing experience.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    LOL yeah my MP3s are pretty organized too, except I use the name - song method of catagorizing.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    really neat idea, if you could get the few million users on kazaa to agree
    myself, i keep em organized, pretty much the way you posted,
    except my apps are 'title - author' or just title most cases
    mp3's, 'artist - song'
    makes my files a hell of a lot easier to navigate
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast