Thread: How Can I Tell If

BANNED
    hi, I was just wondering, how can I tell if my usb speedstream 5200 modem is compatible with linux? I cnat find any properties on it. Where do I go?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    external modems are not winmodems, not by proper definition anyway. a winmodem is a PCI card that doesn't contain enough hardware components to operate independently of Windows (there are PCI modems which would be considered "hardware" modems).

as for whether that USB ADSL modem is compatible with Linux... if there are no Linux drivers available for that device, you may be out-of-luck. it really is just not a good idea to get a USB ADSL modem because (despite the convenience of just plugging it in and using it) they are so limited in what you can do with 'em. if your ISP offered an Ethernet-based modem, you should've gone with that... 'cause even if Linux could not control the Ethernet modem, you could just add an Ethernet broadband router into the setup, which Linux would have no problem connecting to.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    it is ethernet and usb compatible, only I don't have an ethernet card...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by bulio@11 January 2004 - 17:30
    it is ethernet and usb compatible, only I don't have an ethernet card...
    oops. well, in that case... time to install one. do a bit of research, find an Ethernet card that's Windows & Linux-compatible, install it, and it should be all good then.