Thread: Horrible Speed

Poster
    i just got shadows client and got my first file. it was bad boys 2.. about 1400 MBs. it took 24 hours with my 1.5mb/s cable internet! why is it so slow?
    thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2

how many seeds were there!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    There are a few key things that can affect you DL speeds when using BitTorrent.

1) If you are behind a router, you need to forward the ports 6881-6889 in your router configuration in order to get decent DL speeds.

2) The more Seeds and Peers there are for a file, the better your DL speed will be. Ideally, there would be more Seeders than Peers for the best DL speeds but I've gotten great DL rates with only 5 Seeders and 100 Peers. Basically, the more total people trying to get a particular Torrent, the more potential sources you have for available download bandwidth.

3) I use TorrentStorm for my BT client and there is an option to limit your UPLOAD speed. You should set this limit for around 80% or so of your MAX UPLOAD rate. For example, the fastest my ISP will let me upload is 32KB/sec so I have my Max Upload speed limited in TorrentStorm to be 25KB/sec. If you don't hold back a little of your upload bandwidth, your downloads will choke and be really slow since your computer needs to have some upload bandwidth available to send requests for more data to download.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rock Tonic Juice Magic@12 January 2004 - 05:02

how many seeds were there!
    at peak 3 or 4 seeds

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by wacomcduff@12 January 2004 - 07:32
    There are a few key things that can affect you DL speeds when using BitTorrent.

1) If you are behind a router, you need to forward the ports 6881-6889 in your router configuration in order to get decent DL speeds.

2) The more Seeds and Peers there are for a file, the better your DL speed will be. Ideally, there would be more Seeders than Peers for the best DL speeds but I've gotten great DL rates with only 5 Seeders and 100 Peers. Basically, the more total people trying to get a particular Torrent, the more potential sources you have for available download bandwidth.

3) I use TorrentStorm for my BT client and there is an option to limit your UPLOAD speed. You should set this limit for around 80% or so of your MAX UPLOAD rate. For example, the fastest my ISP will let me upload is 32KB/sec so I have my Max Upload speed limited in TorrentStorm to be 25KB/sec. If you don't hold back a little of your upload bandwidth, your downloads will choke and be really slow since your computer needs to have some upload bandwidth available to send requests for more data to download.
    i fowarded those with ZA PRO.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    What was the total speed. 4 seeds is not enough. You wont get much speed if the other 4 users were on dial-up.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by ultimatejester@12 January 2004 - 23:57
    What was the total speed. 4 seeds is not enough. You wont get much speed if the other 4 users were on dial-up.
    peak was 30kb/s and average was 10kb/s