Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commercial P2p Networks?

Originally posted by guit_steel@12 January 2004 - 21:10
    I probably wasn't being clear.  My impression is that this isn't likely to happen based on the fact that the only way the studios would allow this type of transfer is if they were directly in control.  Me thinks past behavior precludes ur plan.  :pirate:
    I tend to disagree on this. There IS incentive for copyright holders to utilize a service such as this. After all, this is only another model for product distribution. Studios already allow Blockbuster to rent their products to consumers based on some sort of payment structure. I.E. Blockbuster buys DVD's from the studio for X amount of dollars then turns around and rents those to consumers to make a profit. This service is no different really.

The incentives and benefits to the copyright holders are these:

1) There is no material cost to distribute their media through this service. They do not have to manufacture DVD's or CD's and packaging, shipping, etc.

2) They do not have to provide the infrastructure needed to distribute the media electronically. The P2P company provides the servers and part of the bandwidth needed and handles the billing, creation of content, software development etc. Once a copyright holder offers their media for download all they have to do is sit back and wait for the check to arrive from the P2P company.

3) This service would not preclude the other distribution models in effect currently. I.E. Blockbuster would still be buying DVD's and other retailers would still be buying CD's and Books and Software to distribute. This service would be a supplement to the copyright holders current revenue streams. As it stands now, copyright holders are recieving NO compensation for files shared on P2P networks. This business model would allow them to generate revenue from the growing Digital Distribution trend.

Thanks for all the input so far. Keep it comin!

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Originally posted by wacomcduff@12 January 2004 - 16:41
    I tend to disagree on this. There IS incentive for copyright holders to utilize a service such as this.
    Incentive or not the MPAA and the RIAA have been reesistant to such proposals. U might disagree b/c the model makes sense (I would concur) but the powers that be do not see it this way. Thus the plan is DOA. Doesn't really matter what u or I think, only what the MPAA and RIAA do.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    IMO, this idea wouldn't work without a creating a new format to protect the distributors files. Because if they stick with AVI or Divx with no protection, there just creating an easier way to pirate. People would just get the movie, copy it to a disk or pass it on a network.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    internet.news
    Originally posted by Nost@12 January 2004 - 16:05
    Well you can already subscribe to a dvd rental service that sends dvds via mail for about $20 a month or so. You get unlimited rentals and no late fees you just order a number of them at once and return some or all of them when you've watched them and they send you more.

Downloading from Blockbuster would be easier than mailing them back and forth. As far as it being a P2P, it would be more like a B2P (blockbuster 2 peer) program. It wouldn't be a true P2P, strickly speaking.

As far as subscribing, ya I'd look at it if the downloads where fast enough. I couldn't rent four new releases for that much at the store.
    Subscribe, If a movie company would offer all new films and I would have fast connection means DSL (I've heard some companies offering Online Movie watching
    with DSL, I could not believer it is so fast&#33 I probably would subscribe if it is 20Euro = Dollar.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Originally posted by guit_steel@12 January 2004 - 23:10
    Doesn't really matter what u or I think, only what the MPAA and RIAA do.
    It really comes down to convincing the copyright holders to take advantage of a service like this. The RIAA and MPAA are not the copyright holders of the media they represent so they can fuck off. Any file offered on a network like this would be authorized by the copyright holder and the revenue share would go directly to them.

I agree with G2k1boy that there would have to be some kind of security implemented that would help prevent distribution of authorized content to unauthorized networks. This would be key in getting copyright holders to publish their media on a network like this. Off the top of my head I would imagine the client software would come with a suite of tools that would allow for burning of music to CD or Movies to DVD with a built-in encrypted "key" that was specific to the user and file. Or possibly a media player that used encrypted keys to authorize playback of legitimately downloaded files. This would in no way STOP piracy of material...it would just make it more difficult. There will ALWAYS be people that will find a way to circumvent whatever protections there are on copyrighted materials or services and distribute them. (i.e. Black Box cable converters, DirectTV access cards, Running a black magic marker around the edge of a CD rofl, etc.)

Apple is already offering a pay-to-download service for music and seem to be having modest success so far. This idea just takes the concept a couple steps beyond that by including all media formats from music, to movies, to software, to documents/books. Speaking of Apple and iMusic...what method do they use to insure that the music downloaded from them is protected? Does anybody have any information on this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12