Thread: Eliminating Viruses/trojans/worms

hi, is it possible to eliminate traces of those nasties by low-level formatting my hard disk?

i've heard that the normal high-level format will not be any helpful

thx,
    gildan2020
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    Just by formatting your computer all should be ok. All those mostly act upon the Operative System (Windows), and unless a virus gets into your boot sector, a "normal" format would do the trick.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    DWk Posted on 12 January 2004 - 08:05
      Just by formatting your computer all should be ok. All those mostly act upon the Operative System (Windows), and unless a virus gets into your boot sector, a "normal" format would do the trick. 
    Very true. Just remember, if you do a low level format, it will void your HD warrenty. Here's an extra step after formatting. After reboot and before you re-install your OS pull your ram for 24 hours. RAM keeps a low charge even after the pc is turned off but it'll totally discharge if unplugged from the system for that length of time. I've heard of TSR's trying to reestablish the virus. A format should kill it all, but it's a thought.

Liberal: Lib er al Someone who's mind is so open their brains fell out.
    Real cars don't make horsepower at the front wheels, they lift them.
    Lead, follow or get yer ass run over!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by longboneslinger@13 January 2004 - 08:14
    DWk Posted on 12 January 2004 - 08:05
    Very true. Just remember, if you do a low level format, it will void your HD warrenty. Here's an extra step after formatting. After reboot and before you re-install your OS pull your ram for 24 hours. RAM keeps a low charge even after the pc is turned off but it'll totally discharge if unplugged from the system for that length of time. I've heard of TSR's trying to reestablish the virus. A format should kill it all, but it's a thought.
    wow...plugging out the ram as well? never gone that far b4
    are you sure it'll void my Western Digital warranty? i've not found any site claiming so

gildan2020

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    It probably will void your warranty. The low-level erases info that the manufacturer stores in the drive. And the company that sold you the hard drive can probably see that you don't have this info in the drive anymore.

But as I said, low-level format isn't worth it. Just a regular format will do

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    easy to understand article about 'boot sector' viruses

http://antivirus.about.com/cs/tutorials/a/bsvirus.htm

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    Nice - thats some good info

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    dwk, just checked with the hard disk website
    if ur interested...http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp
    the warranty policy didn't state anything about low-level format, especially when i'm using their tools to do so.
    perhaps the info u said that might be erase will be reinserted after format?
    thx for u clarification anyway.

andrewbarker, thx for the webpage

gildan2020

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    Actually I wasn't talking about WD's warranty, but the store you buy the hard drive from. Their policy might be (and probably is) different.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    I think far too many people panic when they are infected by viruses and take drastic actions. If you are infected by a virus your first port of call should be to try and remove it with your virus scanner.

If this doesnt work, then use system restore to return your system to before the virus infection.

As a last resort should you consider reformating. But i would advise people to reformat once every 6 months just to get rid of all the rubbish that slows down the system. Its better than defragmenting.

If you have a sizable hard drive you should create another primary partition (with OS) and keep it secure - only install trusted software, so you can use it for internet banking/shopping etc.
    Robert00000