Thread: 2 Users And Slow Downloads (again...)

Hello the community!

I use Kazaa Lite 2.4.3 and Win98
    I don't understand, as many other KL users, I've got this strange problem: even with a few hundreds of sources of the same file (I download movies and songs, mainly), I can never connect to more than 2 users at the same time. I see that Kazaa is trying to connect to other sources but it never turns to "download" from them. I see "connect" then it disappears and in the traffic bar, 3, 4, 5 users systematically reverts to "2 users", no matter what.
    It's fine if I find somebody who lets me download to decent speed, but most of the time, I've got a ridiculous snail pace of 1.2 kb or 0.9 kb, and at best 8 or 9. With 5 or 6 sources adding to each other, I'd have 20 or 30 kb, even more, probably (I'm on ADSL and I can download a file on the web at 63 kB/s... )
    What's more, I see that very often, Kazaa is "connecting" again...
    So, I've tried all the tricks suggested on this board and in various FAQ's (change port, change configuration settings, "jump supernodes" etc... etc...) but nothing changes...
    I've tried everything but uninstall, reinstall Kazaa... Would it help?
    Please help me!
    thanks

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Old Fella
    I know i see a lot of people come in here and complain about slow downloads, and occasionally I get the same thing. I am on ADSL and can only get max 15-16 Kb/s, and currently only have 1 download going at around 4-5 with 3 users. You have to bear in mind that you can only download at the speed that the people you are uploading from allows. That means if they are 56kers then you will only get probably max 3 Kb/s and thats if they only have 1 upload slot. If you want to verify try messaging the people you are actively downloading from to see why your speeds are so low and that may help answer your question.

I don't think uninstall/reinstall will help, but you may want to try that if nothing else is working. Check my sug below for current versions available. If 1 doesn't work then try another. Not an ideal answer but it's all I can suggest for now.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thanks, Cyril...

This afternoon, I'v got a few more connected users I can download from... and my speed is a little higher...
    I can understand that, in spite of my ADSL connection, I surely can't fancy any traffic faster than what the others guys' speed allow me to download... Anyway, I can't help feeling a little bit frustrated when I think that if it were a regular web download, I could get a movie in 3 or 4 hours only...
    Maybe I'm just a mean spoiled high-speed broadband brat.
    Ok, I think i'll be patient, that's all... And I'd better stop keeping an impatient eye on my Kazaa screen and let it work on its own. A miracle may happen while I'm away...who knows?
    As we say in French: "Casserole surveillée ne bout jamais"

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Here's something that will help explain your possible troubles,
    First turn of all your firewalls and antivirus, then disconnect kazaa either shut down or disconnect via your file toolbar.
    Now search in google for "speed test" choose the first or second website and follow their instructions. This will give you a free accurate rating for your broadband connection. Usually you will only get three goes.
    Don't believe the hype from your isp, this will be a direct test for transforming a small file to and from you.
    Unfortunately with all the routing your connection has to go through, you will only ever reach the magic 512 mark if you're sitting on top of a telephone exchange.
    There's a helpful guide in the tips forum for faster downloads, I've been a user for the last 18months and found some tips that helped me.
    I am on cable and can still only max at 508

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sampieru_Corsu+12 January 2004 - 06:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sampieru_Corsu &#064; 12 January 2004 - 06:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I use Kazaa Lite 2.4.3 and Win98[/b]
    Windows 9x/ME has a hard-coded limitation of 100 internet connections (at least of the TCP/ip kind) at one time. Exceed that and expect slowdowns, weird behavior, and crashes. Kazaa Lite is probably programmed to limit the number of connections it makes PER download to prevent exceeding that. (And doesn&#39;t work any differently on Win XP because that&#39;d be extra programming work...)<!--QuoteBegin-Cyril@12 January 2004 - 06:38
    You have to bear in mind that you can only download at the speed that the people you are uploading from allows. That means if they are 56kers then you will only get probably max 3 Kb/s and thats if they only have 1 upload slot.[/quote]For the 56k max of 3 KB/sec, it requires MORE than that. Not only do they have to have only 1 upload slot, they have to have a nearly-perfect max-speed connection. You won&#39;t get 3 KB/sec from someone who connects at less than 40 kbps&#33; AND they have to be doing basically nothing else at the time you are downloading from them -- that means not surfing the web, not downloading any files of their own, and not even running a Kazaa Lite search&#33;