Thread: Backing Up Dvds

Poster
    Hi I'm trying to back up a few movies and haqve tried tvarious progds. First i used DVD decrypter to rip the movie and then DVD shrink to compress it then burn it, fine. then when i went to play it in my set top dvd, nothing. Even in the PC, nothing.
    Then I dl DVD X Copy and went through the processs with that, but, at 58% burn a error box comes up saying "coudnt burn to disc check log file" in there no clues. This ghappened twice, luckily I'm using +RW dvd's so no coasters.
    Help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    hmm...i dun have any dvd burners
    it might be the copy protection that is making ur burning experience a tough time
    why dun u try alcohol 120%? u might find some luck using it
    the demo version is at http://www.alcohol-software.com/

gildan2020
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I think I might have the problem. The +RW discs i have are Phillips 1-4x which apparently dont worrk on all DVD burners.
    Any opinions from ay one or help appreciated.

Cheers

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    With the first method you mentioned involving DVD Decrypter, did you rip one DVD, because otherwise there would be no need to compress it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Yes I did rip one DVD, but it was over 6gb so had to compress it to fit a 4.7gb disc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    yeah, you would have to compress it....though i use dvdshrink straight dvd to hdd, and its all compressed automatically

anyhow, it maybe the type of disk/recorder that you're using...best bet is to get a load of single disks, +/- different makes and record onto them in turn, find a make that seems to work with all your players and stick to it.

its usu just a case of playing until you get a good make. oh and make sure your standalone plays dvdR
    <insert signature here>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I&#39;ve now updated the firmware on my burner and I&#39;m trying again with DVD shrink donig the ripping aswell as the compressing and then Nero to burn. Fingers crossed.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    oh yeah, sometimes its better to burn as DVD (UDF) (might have data in the name)

this is what most do (i think)

but i burn it as movie, and just select all the video_ts files.

oh, and in dvd-shrink, i dropped it down to 4400MB, cos i was having probs at the end of the disk
    <insert signature here>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Well it failed. But it said it all encoded alright, so its definatly in the burn as they say. I was hoping to be abe to do a 1 to 1 copy so i get all the menus. I am really starting to think more seriously that it is the media and to try some other discs as Vivitron said.