Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Howard Shipman Found Hanged In Cell

lynx's Avatar .
    Dr Howard Shipman was convicted of 15 murders, and was suspected of causing the deaths of at least 250 others, mainly elderly patients.

I, for one, won't miss him. Yet the families of some of the victims are querying why he wasn't on suicide watch. I can understand that they would have liked further info on how and why he carried out these terrible acts, but as far as I know he was not being co-operative.

We should be celebrating that he's gone, not calling for public inquiries.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    the full story

Harold Shipman found dead in cell
    Killer doctor Harold Shipman has died after being found hanging in his cell in Wakefield Prison.

Shipman was discovered at 0620 GMT by staff who tried to revive him, but he was pronounced dead at 0810 GMT, a Prison Service spokeswoman said.

He was jailed for life in January 2000 for murdering 15 patients.

An official report later concluded he killed at least 215 people.

The 57-year-old GP, from Hyde, Greater Manchester, was given 15 life sentences to run concurrently for the murders, and four years for forging a will.

Quote:
    The Prison Service will be conducting an investigation into the death
    Prison Service statement

He went down in history as the UK's biggest convicted serial killer but always denied his crimes.

Jane Ashton-Hibbert, whose grandmother Hilda was unlawfully killed by Shipman, told BBC News: "This seems like an easy way out for him. He never showed any compassion or any guilt and that door is now closed to us."

A Prison Service statement said he used bedsheets to hang himself.

It went on: "Since arriving at Wakefield on June 18 2003, Shipman had never been on a suicide watch and was on normal location and following a normal regime.

"The family have been informed and the Prison Service will be conducting an investigation into the death as we do with all deaths in custody. The coroner has been informed."

The vast majority of the doctor's victims were elderly women who were given lethal heroin injections.

A report by High Court judge Dame Janet Smith found the former GP could have killed as many as 260 patients.

Poor behaviour

Of Shipman's 215 likely victims, 171 were women and 44 were men, with the oldest being a 93-year-old woman and the youngest a 47-year-old man.

Last month it emerged that the serial killer had been stripped of his privileges at Wakefield because of poor behaviour.

At his trial, Mr Justice Thayne Forbes said: "Finally you have been brought to justice for your wicked, wicked crimes.

"You abused the trust of these victims - you were, after all, their doctor.

"You used a calculating and cold-blooded perversion of your medical skills. You have shown no remorse."

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    If he indeed committed suicide, the circumstance creates a bit of a dilemma for the anti-death-penalty crowd, if they choose to comment.

Their urge to blame someone, as long as it is not the good Doctor, should prove entertaining.

As for me?

Shipman performed the first decent act of his miserable existence; good riddance.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    Originally posted by j2k4@13 January 2004 - 16:55
    Shipman performed the first decent act of his miserable existence; good riddance.
    well put.
    good riddance is a yorkshire way of saying good byee!

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Poster
    I live in Hyde, my girlfriend is sure he killed her stepfather, he was found dead
    after a visit from shipman the grim reaper, because her elderly stepfather was found slumped in the wrong chair, he lived alone and always used the same chair.
    i had to go into the town centre this morning and the place was awash with the media. glad to see him go save the cost of feeding him. the rumour is the prison
    officers took his television off him and made him wear regular prison clothes
    because he was an arrogant shit
    Man U fer eva

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Lucky bastard. If I worked there I would have pissed in his soup and watched him drink it!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@13 January 2004 - 17:55
    If he indeed committed suicide, the circumstance creates a bit of a dilemma for the anti-death-penalty crowd, if they choose to comment.
    I find no dilemma.

The state killing a person on my behalf is an entirely different thing from him taking his own life.

It could be argued that he should have been on suicide watch. However that at worst would make the state guilty by inaction, I see that as entirely diferent from actively taking someone's life.

Love the "anti-death-penalty crowd" phrase by the way. Never miss a chance to use a wee emotive phrase, or lead a witness. That's typical of the kill-people-brigade.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by J'Pol@13 January 2004 - 15:18
    Love the "anti-death-penalty crowd" phrase by the way. Never miss a chance to use a wee emotive phrase, or lead a witness. That's typical of the kill-people-brigade.
    Just thought I'd try some of that "extremist" rhetoric.

I agree, it is a poor fit.

Me wife had a coupon for it, and I was weak.

BTW-J'Pol, you know I don't count you as being amongst the unprincipled objectors; though you are perhaps the only one of your type here: A non-joiner of crowds.

We are in agreement as to Mr. Shipman; that is what counts.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Poster
    j2

He is no great loss to the world, I think we agree on that.

In spite of what will almost certainly happen when I say this, may God have mercy on his soul.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    From the radio on the way home, most (if not all) of the victims relatives spoken to feel angry and cheated. They think that this just one more cruel act by Shipman to prevent the truth of his actions ever coming out. The investigation into the scale of his crimes is still ongoing I believe it was still hoped he would cooperate at some point.

I have no feelings one way or the other regarding Shipman - if the relatives wanted answers I am sorry their grief has been added to, as this will not now occur. Whilst it is easy to make happy noises regarding his death I think a certain sensitivity is owed to those who were hoping he would reveal what he had done and why he did it.

With regards an enquiry this is normal after such an event.

1) to ensure it was suicide

2) to ensure that proper procedures were followed

There was no reason to assume Shipman was suicidal he had his TV and ordinary clothes back and was apparently looking forward to his birthday tomorrow. Assuming it was suicide and procedures were followed I can't see the enquiry taking long.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast