Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Increase Uploading Speed

I have cable modem, bandwidth is 1444kbps at 2wire.com. My max uploading speed is about 40kb/s no matter how much bandwidth i set. I have "extra bandwidth when idling" checked too.

Any suggestions?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    So what you're saying is that you never get any higher speeds than 40kb/s?
    I find that weird since you got an even better connection than mine.
    Mine is about 1187/107 and I have had speeds up to 300kb/s.
    Things I can suggest is to look for a very popular file with a lot of users.
    There's this file that is suggested on this board for this but I can't remember wich one.
    It also depends wetter or not your behind a router,I think.
    Can't help you a lot with this but i'm sure others can.

But always make sure you have plenty of sources to start with(the more the better)

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thanks for responding, but my problem here is uploading, not downloading.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Ooops my mistake.
    About the uploading,go to options in k-lite,then go to k++ options>go to advanced and change maximum bandwith used to upload(or something like that) and also click the box with "extra upload bandwith when idle"(or something like that...I have the dutch k-lite so i'm not sure how it's stated in the english version).But i think you know what i mean.I'm not sure if this will help but it's the only thing you can do.
    I find it also weird that my uploads never go any higher than 13kb/s eventhough I have a fast connection.

Hope this will help you out

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by PleaseShare+13 January 2004 - 17:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PleaseShare &#064; 13 January 2004 - 17:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I have cable modem, bandwidth is 1444kbps at 2wire.com.&nbsp; My max uploading speed is about 40kb/s no matter how much bandwidth i set.&nbsp; I have "extra bandwidth when idling" checked too.

Any suggestions?[/b]
    The 1444 kbps (180 KB/sec) bandwidth reported is your DOWNLOAD bandwidth.
    Your upload bandwidth is definitely only a tiny fraction of that speed.
    If your top upload speed in KL++ is 40 KB/sec, then you probably have a upload bandwidth of somewhere between 320 kbps and about 400 kbps.

kbps = kilobits/sec
    KB/sec = KILOBYTES/sec
    8 kbps = 1 KB/sec

DISABLE "extra bandwidth when idling"&#33; It is a broken feature designed to WRECK connections.
    (It disables the upload bandwidth limits and tries to open 20+ upload slots at once which end up running at <0.5 KB/sec each and disconnect a lot. If you get really low download speeds from someone, it&#39;s often due to this &#39;feature&#39;.)

Instead, set upload bandwidth limits to either 256 kilobits/sec (32 KB/sec) or run KL++&#39;s configuration wizard and see if you can find a connection type that sets upload bandwidth to about 40 KB/sec.
    Once the upload SPEED is set, you&#39;ll also need to set the max number of upload slots. It&#39;s best to set them high enough so your upload bandwidth isn&#39;t wasted but few enough that each upload goes at a reasonable speed. Probably anything between 2 and 10 upload slots will do. 2 may result in slow connections only downloading from you at <10 KB/sec total, while 10 would be getting 3-4 KB/sec each on average. You can use more upload slots if you don&#39;t mind how long each upload will take at the reduced speed. 5-8 max upload slots is a better range to use.
    Originally posted by ~FunK_mOb~@13 January 2004 - 17:50
    Mine is about 1187/107 and I have had speeds up to 300kb/s.
    If your rated internet speeds are 1187/107 (measured in kbps = kilobits/sec), then the FASTEST download speeds you&#39;ll get is about 140-150 KB/sec (KiloBYTES/sec). If you&#39;re getting speeds faster than that, your ISP apparently allowed higher download speeds part of the time.

Cablemodems are often capable of 10 Mbps speeds (this is 10,000 kbps or 1,250 KB/sec) -- they are throttled down to something like 1 Mbps (1,000 kbps) for downloads and 0.25 Mbps (250 kbps) for uploads by your ISP so the ISP can put more cablemodems on the same line without overloads.<!--QuoteBegin-~FunK_mOb~
    @14 January 2004 - 20:45
    I find it also weird that my uploads never go any higher than 13kb/s eventhough I have a fast connection.[/quote]You said your connection&#39;s speed was 1187/107. 107 is your upload bandwidth in kilobits/sec, so 107 kilobits/sec = 13.375 KB/sec. Little wonder you don&#39;t see uploads higher than 13 KB/sec&#33; Since MOST broadband connections are like this (download at >80 KB/sec, but upload at <30 KB/sec), it&#39;s all the more important that nearly everyone shares something&#33;

Actually, that&#39;s not uncommon. ISPs can dedicate more bandwidth to downloading if they give less upload bandwidth to each user. So for a 100 Mbps combined speed cable trunk line which is shared by 50 cablemodem users, either all 50 users could have 1 Mbps down and up or all 50 users could have 1.5 Mbps down and 0.5 Mbps up.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Thanks, that is helpful. I have my uploading bandwidth set at unlimited for 2 slots. The uploading speed is about 42kb/s. My downloading speed is very high and I hardly ever max it, but I think I have downloaded over 170kb/s before.

This is really bullshit from the cable companies for setting such ridiculous ratios between uploading and downloading. Because file sharing is fastest when a downloading to uploading speed ratio is 1:1, it is obvious that ISP do this to limit our ability to fully use our bandwidth. And with less bandwidth use, they can increase the number of clients for a given cable. This is hidden deception or hustling their clients. They can advertise that their cable connection can go as fast as 1444kbps (180kb/S), but in reality, in a file sharing community, one&#39;s average upload speed is really limited by the community&#39;s uploading speed. The community&#39;s uploading speed is really determined by our slow uploading speed, and in my case 320kbps (40kb/s).

So I originally thought that I was paying for a maximum ability to transfer 180KB/s, I am really able to transfer at a max of 40Kb/s. Thus, I am really paying my ISP over 4 times more than what I should be paying for the product that I am getting. The truth hits me hard. Damn, I am fu*king pissed.

We all have been hustled guys; what do you all got to say to that. What do you guys want to do about it. What is there for us to do?

:helpsmile:

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    TIP :heres what works for me : CTRL+ALT+Delete , than check "Performance" if its high, go to "Prograsses" than find CTFM, tmd , alg ,MSBB, or anything that loosk like u dont really need it &#33; u can delete thos crapy files that make you internet go slow just as long ast they are Under ur username , if you delte anything from your Locak Service it restarts you pc after 5 min and ur pc is gonna be carpy for few hures after restart &#33;

HEY it works for me &#33; + this is just an tip B)
    guess what......... No&#33;.....
    --counter-strike:----------------------------
    t:bomb has been planted
    ct: bomb has been defuzed&#33;
    Game: Counter-terrorist wins&#33;
    1 , 2

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    It&#39;s been this way for a LONG time, and it&#39;s why I get pretty upset at idiots posting "I can download at >100 KB/sec from websites -- Kazaa sucks because I can&#39;t download faster than about 40 KB/sec from it&#33;" Or worse yet -- "I disable sharing because it slows my downloads down."

You have it far better than most&#33; For over a year, my cablemodem connection was 1500k down/128k up -- that&#39;s 12:1 ratio down to up&#33; MANY still have 1024k/128k ADSL/cable connections. Some even have awful 512k/64k connections -- but that&#39;s still far better than 56k dial-up&#33;

My main concern is PRICE. If we only get 1mbps down/0.25 mbps up, the price should be considerably less than a 2mbps down/2 mbps up connection&#33;

P2P file-sharing is a new phenomena, even compaired to cablemodems and ADSL lines. Previously, customers almost never NEEDED high upload speeds because there was so little they COULD use them for besides (often &#39;illegally&#39 running a server. So it made good business sense for broadband providers to give a majority of their bandwidth for download speeds. It still DOES, it just doesn&#39;t benefit YOU as much as you&#39;d like.

I&#39;d like to see upload speeds reach 1/4 to 1/2 of download speeds -- but see NO reason for them to go any higher than that, except for special-case uses. That way, if you have a "2 mbps connection" you&#39;d get at least 1/2 to 1 mbps upload bandwidth with that.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    dude i dont care about the speed but speed is most important 2 me+ my is is Test2Speed and when u ask what conncetion or moden do i have i have an: SBC YAHOO DSL , i got DLS b/c its fast + i can play on Xbox-LIVE&#33; B)
    guess what......... No&#33;.....
    --counter-strike:----------------------------
    t:bomb has been planted
    ct: bomb has been defuzed&#33;
    Game: Counter-terrorist wins&#33;
    1 , 2

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    The question of dividing one&#39;s bandwidth between uploading and downloading depends on individual use. Surfing the web or playing network games require not too much speed, I personally feel that 50kb/s is more than adequate for surfing the web. Web downloading speed infrequently goes over 50kb/s, and if it does 50kb/s is quite fast, and the wait is not long.

For sharing files, the optimal bandwidth split for downloading to uploading is 50:50 because for every download there is an equal upload. We get so frustrated not being able to download over kazaa because of a lack of sources, i.e., uploading bandwidth, when we have plenty of downloading bandwidth. This is due to the unequal distribution of bandwidth between downloadin to uploading (in my case down to up is 180kb/s to 40kb/s). My uploading is always maxed out, and my downloading is usually less than my uploading. I have so much wasted downloading bandwidth, and many others with fast connections also experience the same. Even if I can magically give away my bandwidth to my downloaders, they can download any faster from me because my upload is maxed out. And when I want to download something, I end up waiting forever for it because of this unequal distribution of bandwidth. Guys, ISP do this on purpose, not because they don&#39;t know that the ridiculous bandwidth distribution is inefficient. All our wasted bandwidth can go to new clients for the ISP.

Because I hardly ever need more than 50kb/s for surfing, I feel that my bandwidth downloading to uploading distribution of 180kb/s to 40kb/s totally ridiculous. I would be so much happier with 90kb/s to 90kb/s. And my ISP is Road Runner, which is supposed to be fast. Let me know if you know of a better ISP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast