Thread: Video Card Memory Question

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    okay, so i have this friend who trusts me to do this for him, so please guys help!
    the problem is that he has a geforce fx5200 (xfx by alpine) 128 mb PCI card. installation was simple and flawless. now here's what i noticed:

desktop>right click>properties>settings tab>advanced>GeForce FX 5200 tab>Direct3D Settings>It says:

PCI Texture Memory Size
    Use up to 47 (number is changable) MB of system memory for textures in PCI mode.

I thought this card was 128 MB??? sorry for being such a n00b at this guys, but any answers and or suggestions are helpful, i'm not gonna play around with this setting until i know what it is and if i can bump it up to 128 mb (the ram on the card, 128 mb). the card is on the 44.03 drivers and directx 9.0b , i'll be updating the drivers to the latest, but for now, this 47 mb system memory question. thanks in advance guys.

p.s. I just need to know if the card is going to run at 128 mb like it was meant too with that "47 MB of system memory for textures in PCI mode". Frankly i have know clue what the above statement (in quotations) is. thanks again guys!

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bump! anyone? pwetty pwease?!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    PCI Texture Memory Size is the amount of system memory the card will use for texture maps if the cards 128mbs gets filled up and it needs extra memory. So, right now it's set at 47, so if its needs it, the video will use 47mbs of the system ram as video memory as well.
    I'd just leave it as is, usually you won't need any extra memory, most games are made to use only 64 to 128mb cards, so that card has plenty of memory (at least for now)
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    My Card is only 64 MB, but I have 512 MB of installed RAM. I set mine to 255 MB. Works great for me.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20011120_4051.html

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thanks guys, bumped it up to 128 mb, runs like a charm. although i heard some negative comments about this card, it looks and performs really good, just played COD (call of duty) on 1152x864 with AntiAliasing at 6x and Anisotropic at 6x and graphics/display settings in COD at Medium-High, call of duty stuttered (lagged) just a bit when there was a huge explosion right in front of us and there were about 10 guys on our side firing at the same time (tracers going across the screen), so ya, you'd expect that. overall, this card is great, especially since we picked it up for 100 bucks (canadian) . but i'm good with 9600xt

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Double Agent
    i am good with 9800 xt....

beat ya