Thread: Not One Post On Here About Great White

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    I thought somebody would of said something about it on this forum.....I guess us long haired headbangers are getting old.Great White was not a favorite band of mine,hell I made fun of some of their shit.But I will admit there were a few songs of theirs that I did like "The Angel Song" was a great ballad.

How many of us have gone to see one of these old out of date 80's rockers at a local bar for lets say 5 dollars just to hear that one song we liked by them.....or just to hang out with other people our age who are into the same music we are(Pop-Metal, Hair Metal, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock)?I am sure there are a few of us not just me.

I was reading the local Newspaper a couple of days after it happened and saw this long hair up in the front of the stage just headbanging and haveing fun and said to myself that could of been me or somebody alot alike.It did not hit me untell I read further down where this guy(28 years old,the same age as me) said he lost 6 freinds all in their late 20's early 30's.He said he was going to go to the show with them and decided to stay home.What I do alot now when my freinds go out clubing or going to a bar(phishman can testify to that).

It hit a little close to home and since I have had a couple of beers decided to post about it in this new room.

2. Music   -   #2
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    We talked about it a little in the chat room FC, you just weren't there. "Rock Me" is my favorite song by Great White, and I know I played it about 40 times that day just thinking. Yes, that could have been alot of us. Sad part is that this is just going to get turned in to a "who's fault is it" story. But while on the subject, I will state one of my own beliefs. IMO, pyrotechnics do not belong in an enclosed building. Plenty of ways to have an outside concert if you want to do that. If your indoors, just crank up the sound and blow the doors down.

3. Music   -   #3
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by RPerry@28 February 2003 - 04:19
    We talked about it a little in the chat room FC, you just weren't there.
    Cause that place is EVIL I tell ya.

4. Music   -   #4
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+28 February 2003 - 04:27--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 28 February 2003 - 04:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RPerry@28 February 2003 - 04:19
    We talked about it a little in the chat room FC, you just weren&#39;t there.
    Cause that place is EVIL I tell ya. [/b][/quote]
    Not evil at all, FC. Want some Pics as proof?

5. Music   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    FC-
    You&#39;re right; I also thought the tragedy in R.I. was a fit topic for discussion (everything else gets kicked around in here).
    The only thing I can think of to say is, stupidity can overcome good intentions every time. I&#39;m (tragically) even older than you-I&#39;ve been to several concerts and shows of that type, indoor/outdoor, pyros, what have you, and never had anything but a good time.
    But I&#39;ve never been to an event that had THAT imperfect combination of ignorance, stupidity, and circumstances. Now, for those of us who continue to observe the process, prepare to be sickened by the legal dance that follows; keep a keen eye on that Derderian fellow, the reporter who is part-owner. I predict we will see legal gymnastics never before witnessed.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Music   -   #6
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    I think that was one of the biggest tragedies this year. Half of the crowd either died or was seriously injured. And it is going to become a &#39;who&#39;s fault is it&#39; story. I think they should take precautions to never let it happen again and leave it at that.

If they are going to put blame on somebody, this is the how I feel about it. If Great White specifically said to the owners they were going to have pyrotechnics, then it is the owners fault. But if Great White assumed it would be alright because past bands have, then it&#39;s Great White&#39;s fault, but there is no sure way to tell who said what. I&#39;m sure both sides are blaming themselves, (not legally of course, just emotionally), and I think that&#39;s punishment enough.

I wish people were smarter during times of panic. There were 4 fire exits, but everyone headed for the way they went in. Let this be a lesson to everyone else. Know the way out of buildings in case something like this ever happens to you, and try to keep a clear mind.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

7. Music   -   #7
    DF-
    You&#39;re right; this will descend into a "we said-they said " thing, but aside from no sprinkler system, flammable materials, etc., why is it that there was no paper (i.e., contract) for this event?
    Every account i&#39;ve read says that Great White was on the regular "circuit" of tour stops that enables many of us to hear these old bands. If so, The Station should have, at some time in the past, hosted acts of similar stature. How is it possible to schedule these acts without contracts?How is it possible that any existing contract wouldn&#39;t mention potential liability issues in boilerplate language? The only thing that begins to approach profit as an issue of importance in these people&#39;s minds is liability; everybody has a lawyer, so how is this possible? (I know, I know, the muddier the issues get, the more opportunities there are for even more lawyers).
    I fear I&#39;m getting carried away-suffice it to say the situation bears watching.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Music   -   #8
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    I believe that both the band, the promoter, and the bar owner knew about the pyrotechnics. Something went wrong, and now everyone is pointing a finger. I only hope that this poor example of common sense doesn&#39;t cost me any money. Ticket prices are bound to jump because of this mistake, so I&#39;m sure I&#39;ll be feeling it soon in my wallet.--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

9. Music   -   #9
    Jibbler, I fear you are correct.
    I also agree that, in reality, none of the parties can claim actual ignorance. I believe we&#39;re going to see a textbook exercise in guilt avoidance-I hope every one of them gets it stuck up their ass, but common sense is not even on a nodding basis with the legal system. I fear the victims families will be awarded millions in damages which they&#39;ll have to wait years to collect, and we will have more laws and regulations that won&#39;t apply to "grandfathered" businesses.
    By the way, has anybody caught the fact that (re: the Chicago incident) Jesse Jackson is trying to obfuscate his involvement in keeping that club open while in violation of safety laws by arranging FREE funerals for the victims? I bet he&#39;ll disappear when THAT hits court.

-Mark Twain

10. Music   -   #10
    at first they said like 97 fans died but then they said 96 because they found out the gutariest wasnt a fan