Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should Organ Donation Rules Be Changed?

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    my point was on the fact that the NHS doesn't keep a national register of bone marrow donors, instead it is run by a charity which seemed to be odd when they have all the needed equiptment to test donor suitability at blood donor sessions and it could be done alongside the register of blood donors. And the point of this topic is about the availability of donors, admittedly organs after death.
    The actual operation for transplant and the following recouperation treatment would be done by the NHS (no charge to the patient) but the donor would be sought from the register run by the charity.
    The NHS isn't perfect, it does have problems and it could be run much more efficiently than it is at present. As to if it would work in the USA.....well with our profit above all else thinking we could do it a lot more efficiently, however there is and always will be too many influecial people making a nice penny or two out of the status quo to make it viably realistic.

Edit: i have read a lot of arguements about the best way with healthcare. Many say a social system is the only way to go, others say that private healthcare is best as it offers choice. My view is that with the amount of wealth in a country such as ours we should not be having discussions about people that can't afford healthcare, because it's immoral that we have such a problem. So i probably side with a social system but run with a private sense of efficiency.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by vidcc@30 January 2004 - 03:15
    Edit: i have read a lot of arguements about the best way with healthcare. Many say a social system is the only way to go, others say that private healthcare is best as it offers choice. My view is that with the amount of wealth in a country such as ours we should not be having discussions about people that can't afford healthcare, because it's immoral that we have such a problem. So i probably side with a social system but run with a private sense of efficiency.
    Just so-

As you say, a social system (publicly funded) could work even better, due to the bent toward efficiency brought on by "for profit" status-

But, as you also say, the "influencial people" (crooks, actually) see ways to con the system to their specific benefit, which in turn necessitates oversight (public? private?), which then becomes the bureaucracy that blows the roof off the expense of the system, rendering it less than adequate.

Reality intrudes, you see?

That's the American way.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    internet.news
    Originally posted by Withcheese@15 January 2004 - 17:39
    Should organ donation rules be changed?

Doctors have called for an overhaul of the consent system for donating organs for transplant.

Currently, the law states that permission must be given before an organ can be used for transplant surgery.

However, the British Medical Association wants a new system which would allow doctors to make use of organs unless expressly forbidden.

The BMA is angry the plans have been left out of the forthcoming Human Tissue Bill which could help tackle the chronic shortage of organs available for transplant.

Source.

I think this a great idea, because I would gladly have my organs used after my death but have only recently been put on the donar's list (thx to Lamsey's link). How many more people out there would also wish to donate but haven't been put on the list because they just don't have the time?

I think you should have to have a card to confirm that you DON'T want your organs removed in the event of your death. In my mind if someone can be helped after my death then that would be great.

If anyone is interested here is the link for UK Organ donation:

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/how_to_beco...ome_a_donor.htm
    In Germany ppl are being set on a list and have to wait. That is sometimes hard
    as not all ppl can find what they need in time. But that is the most right thing.

That is the normal process here. Probably in near future it will be possible to clone
    new organs from your own DNA/DNS. That would be great.

There is also the organ mafia - they are taking organs from poor people and sell
    it for big money. I don't like them - but have no right to judge about them, as they unfortunately just humans. That is a difficult issue. And I have to say what I think about it.

In Germany: THERE is a kind of card where you can say which organs they can
    take if you die or being hurt or whatelse... Normally if you don't have it they don't
    take any organs of you. Obviously, each situation might be special. But, we have to - and this is hard - to accept what someone who died accidentally what kind of attitude he has. The best solution would be: if we could one time technically communicate and share with someone ofter death with his energy and energetic thoughts, but this may take a few time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123