Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloning Hard Drives

Hey ya'll, I just installed Norton Ghost 2003. I installed a new hard drive and cloned the C: drive. I was thinking that now I should be able to unplug the Old drive and the new drive should just boot up like norm. But it gets all the way to the Blue logon screen(Win XP Pro) except the names aren't there to logon and it locks up.
    Any suggestions....Hopefully I don't have to install WinXP to the bare(bare after I would format) drive. Thats such a pain in the but and it takes me FOREVER to get back to "norm".
    BTW, I'm installing a 120 GB Maxtor 7200rpm drive, and the utlilties that came with it want the XP startup disc's ,,,but thats another story.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    norton ghost will only work on another drive if it is the same size/speed etc do a search on kazaa for ontrack and it should come up with one called disk manager (i think) which enables you to mirror your drive which should allow you to move from old to new.

Hope this helps

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    imported_uncle_cracker
    Originally posted by Derf_UK@27 February 2003 - 12:21
    norton ghost will only work on another drive if it is the same size/speed etc do a search on kazaa for ontrack and it should come up with one called disk manager (i think) which enables you to mirror your drive which should allow you to move from old to new.

Hope this helps
    right .... ontrack system suite for example

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    wow thanks. It makes sense now......looking for ontrack now.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by uncle_cracker@27 February 2003 - 12:24
    Hope this helps

right .... ontrack system suite for example
    [/quote]
    what about Drive Image? has anyone used that Prog?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I use Norton Ghost 2002. I clone back & forth between a 20GB & 40GB HDD's different brands. No problems.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by zapjb@27 February 2003 - 19:36
    I use Norton Ghost 2002. I clone back & forth between a 20GB & 40GB HDD's different brands. No problems.
    But do you disconect the drive you copyed FROM and see if the new disc would work as a stand alone version? I am wanting to copy everything, OS and all. I just tried Drive image......I don't think it worked. Oh yea, one more thing, the old drive is on an IDE channel and the other is on an Onboard RAID channel, so the regular Utilities that come with new drive, "max Blast", don't work....cause it only scans the Primary and secondary IDE, not the RAID channels.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Derf_UK@27 February 2003 - 12:21

Hope this helps
    Ontrack system suite doesn't have a Disc copying tool. Although it has a BUTTLOAD of other great stuff.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I use Ghost so 1 HDD is a stand alone backup. I keep 1 HDD in my puter & the other in my dresser drawer. And yes the backup works alone. That's the whole point so when I have a catastrophic failure of my own or software or hardware related, I plug in my backup HDD & I'm good to go. I clone my HDD every 2-6 weeks so I'm not too far behind. Takes around a half hour. I also burn a lot of apps. & some vid. & mp3's to cd's. Peace.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    yes i have used norton ghost 2003 on a 60 gig drive from a 15 gig. but i had to remove the 15 gig, install the 60 bootup with max blast partition with no o.s..... ntfs, then reinstall the 15 gig as master and 60 gig as slave and ghost over and remove the 15 gig and setup the 60 gig as master. voila good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast