Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timed Shutdown

Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    is there anyway to shut my computer down at a certain time, or put a countdown shutdown on it (and im not talkin bout a couple of seconds, more like 6 hours)???
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    I have tweakxp installed so i usualy use that to time a reboot or to powerdown.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    FST Retiree
    you can create a batch file and run that as a scheduled task. not sure if thats what youre looking for, but it can do it.
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SHUTDOWN -r -f -m \\%computer% -t xx -c "comment"
    EXIT
    "SHUTDOWN" is the command.
    [-r] will reboot after shutdown.
    [-f] forces running applications to close.
    [-m \\%computer%] is which computer you wish to shutdown. %computer" is the computer name, which you can find in system properties.
    [-t xx] is the timeout for the shutdown after the .bat file is run. "xx" is seconds (default is 20 seconds).
    [-c "comment"] is the comment diplayed in the shutdown dialog box. you can use no more than 127 characters and the comment must be in quotations.

you can use this instead of having to use another program to do it for you .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Out of The Ordinary
    Nice dg_mortal

BOT

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    That code is only good for seconds, can't it be changed to minutes? I don't know how many seconds are in 6 hours .
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    FST Retiree
    Originally posted by 99shassan@16 January 2004 - 12:54
    That code is only good for seconds, can't it be changed to minutes? I don't know how many seconds are in 6 hours .
    thats only the timeout for the shutdown, from the time the command is sent until the time the system will actually begin the shutdown. if you want to set it to shutdown in 6 hours, run it as a scheduled task 6 hours from the current time .

EDIT-1: 21600 seconds in 6 hours....but if you use that in the command line, youll have the shutdown dialog box on your screen for 6 hours and you may not be able to do anything since the system might be preparing to shutdown (even if its 6 hours away). im not even sure if the command can handle that many seconds for that switch .

EDIT-2: i decided to research this for different versions of windows, and it seems each version has its own way of doing this. i found a page that has details for each one here. but if you test this on any other version of windows (i used this .bat on xp) and it works, please let me know. i believe this particular .bat may only work on nt systems.

B)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    There are programs that shutdown at a certain time. Check download.com

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I have a really good prog called AutoClose. Just google it to find it. U can set whatever time u want it to and start the timer, and it counts down for ya

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    You can do with what dg_mortal said, great post dg_mortal.

Or, if your lazy, get a program called Smart Shutdown (Freeware).

You can have your PC shut down/reboot/log off/stand by/hibernate/disconnect from the internet/lock at any specified time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast