Thread: Freeserve Broadband

so, im on freeserve broadband, paying £30 a month to get connected to a 512k '24/7' service, all is well and good, so far.............
    My problem lies in getting disconnected, i can be online for a good few hours, sometimes over a day but then i get disconnected, well not really, my tray ocon tells me im gettected, but i do not recieve or send anything. 0bytes. i cant connect to kazaa, AIM or MSN messenger, and internet explorer gives me a page cannot be found error, the only thing that i can think has happened is that i have been disconnected. My modem is still turned on so thats not teh problem, and i dont have xp configured to disconnect after inactivity.
    In oreder to connect again i must restart my pc, closing explorer and opening it again doesnt work
    Does anyone know is this fixable??or is it even my problem?, perhaps freeserve or bt are cuting me off, i have no idea, but its gettin annoying, thanks in advance,
    jake

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    Do you have Sky TV or anything else plugged into another phone point in the house?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    no sky at all, i have a phone plugged into the dsl filter provided with the alcatel modem, i do not have call waiting either........ please get back to me

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    It may well that your line is too noisy, have you asked your phone company (is it BT?) to check it out?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    not yet, 'too noisey' what do you mean by that i had my 'gain' increased when i was on dial up following the advice of a customer service person.......

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    By nature a digital line is quite noisy, thats why you need the adsl filter.

First off, I would uninstall your modem software, disconnect your modem then re-install the software BEFORE plugging your modem back in.

If that doesnt work I'd give BT a call.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    i thought to much noise only occured on cable modems

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Nope, a noisy line is the most common reason for Broadband users to have trouble, especially in remote areas where the telephone lines might be older and needing replaced.