Thread: Tighteing Memory Timings.

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Hey. As you all know I have built a really nice new system. I have Mushkin PC3200 at 2-2-2-6. Everything is very stable so I think its time to tighten them maybe. I have some questions first:

1. Will it hurt my ram in any way to tighten the timings?

2. Will I notice much, if any, speed differences in using the computer, or in benchmarks?

3. Is there a chance it can make my system unstable?

Thoes are some questions I have. If it is worth it, which timing do I make lower first? Thanks for any help.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    Really nice link, clocker

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by DWk@18 January 2004 - 04:29
    You appreciate that there are some other forums out there where the members are, well, a bit more, well informative.

That is not to say that the members of this forums are bad or anything...I noticed some of you were harping on the fact that I was asking members to display their system specifications before bragging as if they really exist. I simply noticed that many members were posting system specs without including the commonplace documentation. I am not sure which member it was, but there was one who altered the specs of a system to the point to where they were no longer even a consideration.

How are we "experts" supposed to analyse a system, which takes up considerable resources [of mine] (I don't know about yours*) when we think that the poster is posting specs in order to impress us? Let us presume that there is a member who posts a invalid spec; but can post a screenie of it. At least I can analyse a possible system.

Hey friends that know me, flame the ones that dont.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    hmmm...too damn confusing..and dont want to give up any stability...thanks for your help guys, but I think ill leave it alone
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@18 January 2004 - 01:34
    hmmm...too damn confusing..and dont want to give up any stability...thanks for your help guys, but I think ill leave it alone

that's exactly what I say when people ask why I don't have a girlfriend!

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@17 January 2004 - 23:34
    That sounds a lot like how you felt when you first started to build your PC.

I'm not advocating that you change your timings, but understanding them and what they do isn't really all that hard, just takes some time and effort.

Then again, it's not like you're running flabby timing now, is it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    Originally posted by adamp2p+18 January 2004 - 00:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 18 January 2004 - 00:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DWk@18 January 2004 - 04:29
    You appreciate that there are some other forums out there where the members are, well, a bit more, well informative.

That is not to say that the members of this forums are bad or anything...I noticed some of you were harping on the fact that I was asking members to display their system specifications before bragging as if they really exist. I simply noticed that many members were posting system specs without including the commonplace documentation. I am not sure which member it was, but there was one who altered the specs of a system to the point to where they were no longer even a consideration.

How are we "experts" supposed to analyse a system, which takes up considerable resources [of mine] (I don&#39;t know about yours*) when we think that the poster is posting specs in order to impress us? Let us presume that there is a member who posts a invalid spec; but can post a screenie of it. At least I can analyse a possible system.

Hey friends that know me, flame the ones that dont. [/b][/quote]
    oops:

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by clocker@17 January 2004 - 21:55
    Read this, dawg.
    thanks clocker. i just added this to favorites. really useful find

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    thx for the link clocker

i hav dual channel MOBO but i had 3 sticks: 2x256DDR 266mhz and 1x128DDR 266MHZ and i did a benchmark with the 3 sticks then took out 128 stick and did the bench mark again and got a pretty big difference&#33; B)

lol i guess ill sell my 128ddr stick ANYONE wana buy it??
    (i bought it on DEC. 26th) from BEST BUY

My Blog
    I'm still here.