Thread: Need Some Help With A Coworkers Computer

Poster
    A coworker of mine has a PC with this mobo in it and he wants to speed it up a little bit. First off I told him to get more ram as it only has 128 mb and is running windows XP.That's fine I also tell him to ditch the Duron 800 cpu he is running and figured he could just go with one of the newer Duron 1.4 gig cpu's(he is not a gamer,just wants some programs to open faster) but I am not quite sure if the newer applebread cpu's are compatible.Any help would be appreciated. Here is the CPU I figured he could use but it is a 266fsb cpu.Compatrible or not,will the cpu just clock itself back to 200 or should he just start searching for an older used Athlon?
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Sorry dude, you just gave me question overload.

Please ask only one question at a time.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    A faster CPU is always going to help. Has he tried to defrag lately? Also, does he have DDR memory?

XP should have at least 256MB memory, even though Microsoft tells you 128 may be the minimum.

It may be time for a complete over haul. Personally, I need a motherboard that supports DDR memory and 533FSB. I don't like Celeron or Duron. They are crippled. More RAM won't actually speed your computer that much, but it helps with managing files when they are opened.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by adamp2p@18 January 2004 - 06:27
    Sorry dude, you just gave me question overload.

Please ask only one question at a time.

you cant be serious....

looking at the cpu recommendation for that mobo, there isnt a model kl133m, but there is a kt133m...mispelled maybe?

accordign to that thing the kt1300 support a duron 1300 max

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by Spindulik@18 January 2004 - 00:42
    More RAM won't actually speed your computer that much.
    What??
    Putting more ram in this pc will speed it dramatically, XP is slow as hell running at default with 256 ram, and that's DDR, I can't even imagine running XP on a 128mb pc133 system. He needs to move up to at least 512, the board says it supports up to 1gig.

Also, no DDR here.

looking at the cpu recommendation for that mobo, there isnt a model kl133m, but there is a kt133m...mispelled maybe?

accordign to that thing the kt1300 support a duron 1300 max
    And it's there Elmo, you must have just overlooked it, says it supports up to a 1.1 duron, and a 1.3 Athlon classic.

So I recommend you get him to get the 1300 Athlon classic and and least 512 memory, this will really speed his system up.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    I actually just found a pretty good deal on a Thunderbird 1200.Do you think it should be OK.Even if it won't work I will likely just buy it back from him and build a system to sell with it.
    My biggest concern was wether the 266mhz fsb cpu would clock itself back to 200mhz because of the board.If it would and run than I wopuld pick it up for him and he would be pretty good.I told him how to shut off all the pretty crap in XP so that should speed him up a little bit for now.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive