Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok Religion

JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Several threads come up, for and against etc

Well I would like to hear both sides in 1 thread.

Remember this is a debate not a fight

The 1 major reason for me going off religion even tho I have been christened and used to go to church (yes I know ) is WAR.......95% of wars boil down to religion.

WW1
    WW2
    Vietnam
    Gulf
    And countless wars before them

When it comes down to it it's peoples beliefs that make them fight

A TV show in the uk has just been cancelled because the host said that Arabs kill for their god, they kill inocent people (those were not his words but thats basically what he said)
    Which for the most part is true, suicide bombers etc
    Last week a man walked into a pub and sprayed 23 people with some form of acid because he believed they were against his god.......WTF???

Surley it's a persons right to believe what ever they want and no one should be able to say different.......Ok I am here but only because certain religions harm inocent people and murder for no reason at all!!!

Please do not flame!

This is just my own opinion and if anyone is offended then I apologise in advance

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

2. Lounge   -   #2
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    I don't do religion anymore. I was born and raised a catholic, but when i went to secondary school i started to have doubts.

People were brought in to talk to us about pregnancy and stuff, and their line of argument was "Having a baby out of marriage. Contraception is wrong too"

When asked how we could prevent having babies if we didn't use contraception, this was basically the reply:

"well, you shouldn't have sex outside of marriage anyway. And when you marry, you start a family. Condoms and the pill aren't 100% effective anyway, and it's wrong to deny a chance of life"

I just thought that in this day and age, teaching kids NOT to use contraception and such things is wrong. AND i was born out of wedlock so i am a bad person in the eyes of the lord.

I will beleive in God if he does something nice for me. Maybe a pay rise or something.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Ex-member
    I've plastered my beliefs around here enough that I don't think they need voiced again

One thing I would say is that religion isn't always the cause for war, but it is often the excuse for it.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    I am very religous, just dont show it and nobody notices, they proberly dont care either.

I do believe in a god but i think hes more of a friend then a 'god'

5. Lounge   -   #5
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    I used to be a follower of the christian faith a few years back. I wasn't brought up to believe in any religion. I cant even remember when it was I decided I was a christian.

I lost my "faith" about 6 years ago after watching my best friend get stabbed and dying in my ex's flat. The months that followed that opened up my eyes to my blind faith. I started to think that if there was some Omnipotent entity then it must be some kind of sick f*ck. I started to take in all the facts of evolution and the creation of the universe inside of mentally ignoring or disregarding the facts.

Anyways now I'm an atheist but I'm not against personal religion. It helps people deal with their lives. Organised religion is another matter but if I get onto that subject I'll be here all night!

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I've never believed in any form of Religion, its an excuse. People see other people who are worse of than them and feel safe in the knoledge that the worse they have it down here, the better they'll have it in heaven, when the truth is they'll be six feet under like the rest of us. Religion and the theory of an ultimat good and evil is often a cause of nothing being done in the first place. Instead of thinking that there's a god who has a plan for us all, people should make there own plans and stop waiting for something that will never happen.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by Lamsey@18 January 2004 - 19:36

One thing I would say is that religion isn't always the cause for war, but it is often the excuse for it.
    A very good point.

What i really find unreasonable is that for those that believe in God argue over the manner in which he is worshiped, it shouldn't matter which religion you practice. It kind of reminds me of the followers of Brian argueing as to which to follow as the sign...the gourd or the sandal.

I am one that doubts the existance of God but i don't deny it as i could be wrong.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    What makes me laugh is the fact that most religions will deny the existence of Satan

If there really is a god then why can't there be a Devil??

2 sayings, one from an old mate of mine and one from a film.

1= If you talk to god then you are praying, if god talks back you are insane!

2= The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he does not exsist

there are so many arguments for and against but very few people can provide any evidence.

I remember 2 days after 9/11 I had 2 people knock on my door, JW's, they started preaching to me, I asked them if god exsists why did he let such a thing happen?........One of them replied "It's the lords way of culling because we are ravishing the earth" At that point I lost my temper and said several things I probably should'nt have but that is so wrong to say such a thing.

And THAT is my point, religion only cares about it's own, everyone and thing else is expendable!!

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

9. Lounge   -   #9
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    my feet and hands
    the grass and dirt and sky
    yesterday, today and you and I.

aside from those, I know nothing.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    i guess im kinda religious but im not a fanatic about the whole religious thing. i think i believe in a god and stuff like that but i dont believe all that stuff written in the bible.

i believe that we all control our future and life is what you want it to be ( or something like that &#33

i dont agree with many people about their religions but im not going to stop them, as they can believe what they want. one thing that realoly does annoy me is this thing between catholics and protestants, and how one is better than the other, as i find this one of the most stupid things ever.

and this thing that some religions have against abortion and contrception - i think that using Contraception should be encouraged because telling people not to use it can result in many problems , more than it would of when they first thought of that rule. Abortion i feel should only be used in emergency cases where the mum has been raped or something along those lines.

and these people who do the suicide bombing are prats - they dont care about their religion , they are just sick people.

i would like to think that their is a heaven, somewhere where when i die there will be a nice place where i can ''live'' forever... but i doubt it , which is kinda depressing.

and sorry about my bad explanations - im not too good at explaining myself through typing ....or speaking
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast