Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Complete Newbie

I recently downloaded a softwre program called Quickbooks 2003 Premier Edition.
    I chose a download that I thought would be the right one (quite large) for xp? It is an exe? I think downloaded file looks like a white box with blue title bar on top?
    anyway I tried to open it after almost 15 hours of DL time. it flashes a dos box and then nothing. I can';t delete it because it says it's being used by another program. How can this be? I don't get it. Also I tried to burn it and run it. that doesn't work either. I've searched forums, found nothing really helpful. Any ideas?????
    I hoped this would be the right category to post software questions to.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    anyway I tried to open it after almost 15 hours of DL time. it flashes a dos box and then nothing.
    That flashy dos box its a FUCKIN VIRUS my friend , get a Free antivirus from here if you don't have one, do a full scan, get rid of the virus if you can, close your pc restart and try to delete that file.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    I take it that you got this from K-lite.
    You need to change the file extension from .exe to .ISO; .bin, etc.
    Its pretty much a guessing game from here.
    Just keep trying until you find the correct file extension that is appropriate.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by kazaalitehelp1964@18 January 2004 - 21:13
    I recently downloaded a softwre program called Quickbooks 2003 Premier Edition.
    I chose a download that I thought would be the right one (quite large) for xp? It is an exe? I think downloaded file looks like a white box with blue title bar on top?
    anyway I tried to open it after almost 15 hours of DL time. it flashes a dos box and then nothing. I can';t delete it because it says it's being used by another program. How can this be? I don't get it. Also I tried to burn it and run it. that doesn't work either. I've searched forums, found nothing really helpful. Any ideas?????
    I hoped this would be the right category to post software questions to.
    It could be a cd image, in which case change the extention to .iso (from .exe)

There is also the possibility the file could be corrupt, in which case you may need to download it again.

But try changing the extension first.

EDIT: That was quick , both of you guys gave a reply to this as i was typing this message the first time. I thought i was going to be the first to reply
    Robert00000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by sharedholder@18 January 2004 - 21:30
    That flashy dos box its a FUCKIN VIRUS my friend.
    The white box appears when windows can't obtain sufficient info about the file (only with .exe), either because it has the wrong extention or because its a dos file (old type of file - pre-windows era).
    Robert00000

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I can';t delete it because it says it's being used by another program.
    Virus

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Wow! thanx for the rapid replies!!
    O.k. the first thing I do when I download a file is scan for virus. and then I scanned it again after I couldn't delete it. Why won't it let me delete it some other files must be associated with it or something cause I have no other programs open.
    And I will try to change the extension, but how?
    Forgive me for not knowing.
    And thanks again

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Open a folder, then select tools; folder options.
    Then click the view tab, now scroll down and uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types, hit ok. Now refresh the folder with the file in it and you should see the .exe extension.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Oh, BTW, I can right click on the icon on my desktop and go to properties. On the Program tab it shows a command line, is that where I change the extension?
    Then on the same Tab in Advanced it says windows PIF settings Autoexec filename, [%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM#@\AUTOEXEC.NT] and "AUTO...."\CONFIG.NT
    WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    O.K. it's not in a folder and it won't let me put it in a folder again message comes up cannot move to folder , it is being used by another person or program, close programs that might be using the file and try again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast