Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diskeeper Vs Xp Defrag

fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    dont know about other windows, but xp's got built in defrag
    thinkin about gettin diskeeper though for scheduling defrags
    (cant seem to find a way to schedule xp's)

anyone care to rate diskeeper vs xp? B)
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Dikeeper all the way , FKDUP74.I tried the XP built in defrag but is very slow.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    thanks skelley
    (just wakin up, havent remembered the "search" button yet)
    maybe after another two or three cups of coffee....

so you really stand by perfect disk, eh?
    gonna have to check it out i guess

Originally posted by (Sharedholder)
    Dikeeper all the way , FKDUP74.I tried the XP built in defrag but is very slow.
    yeah, REAL slow
    thats why i'm after another app

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Warning!!!N00b question comming your way:

What's the defrag for?What does it do?And is there any risk involved when you do it?I never hit that button on my Xp 'cause I thought it was something like formatting your C:

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    nah, nothing like format
    and your pc NEEDS defragging

when you install/uninstall, move files, work on docs, ANYTHING,
    windows fragments your hard drive (breaks up the files)

defragging puts em back together, helping everything run a little better
    thats the short & sweet explanation B)

heh heh, just for shits and giggles, start your defrag app, and click "analyze"
    post a screenshot of the results

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost

Unique Differences Between PerfectDisk® V6.0 and Diskeeper® V8.0

***Windows Certification
    This is important to all Windows users. The certification means the PerfectDisk V6.0 code was submitted to VeriTest and subjected to the lengthy and rigorous test suite required by Microsoft. Certification means that the application meets all Microsoft criteria for driver compliance and “plays by the rules” for interaction with the operating system and other applications. Diskeeper V8.0 is not certified.

***Single Pass Defragmentation
    PerfectDisk employs a single-pass defragmentation engine. This means PerfectDisk will defragment 99-100% of all data files in one run regardless of the severity of fragmentation or the amount of free space. Diskeeper uses a multi-pass defragmentation engine. It will probably defragment files in one pass when free space is plentiful and files are not badly fragmented, but it will use a multi-pass strategy that “chips away” at the fragmentation if favorable conditions do not exist. The total elapsed time, CPU, and memory usage required by Diskeeper to get to the same quality exceeds those consumed by PerfectDisk’s one pass.

***Smart Placement Strategy
    PerfectDisk has a patented file placement strategy that is based on file modification activity. This strategy groups files with similar modification patterns together. When all “rarely modified” files (files that haven’t changed in 60 days) are grouped together the next time PerfectDisk runs it is very likely nothing in this file group has changed. The files are already contiguous and they are where we want them so PerfectDisk leaves them alone. The “recently modified” files (created or changed in 30 days) are adjacent to the contiguous free space. If one of these files grows the extent will be created in one piece from the contiguous free space. This file can be made contiguous with minimal shuffling of clusters. As a result, subsequent PerfectDisk defrag passes take less time, CPU, and memory. PerfectDisk implements Smart Placement during its single pass on the disk. This means that in one pass with PerfectDisk you get 99-100% of all data files defragmented, free space consolidated, and intelligent file placement based on a sound strategy. Diskeeper uses a random placement strategy. The next time you run Diskeeper it will begin at the start of the disk and begin to shuffle clusters until it can go no further or finishes. This wastes time and resources.

***MFT Placement
    PerfectDisk repositions the MFT to the location where Microsoft research has indicated provides a 5-10% performance improvement. In the Microsoft white paper “NTFS Preinstallation and Windows XP”, published January 16, 2003 the author’s state: “In Windows 2000 and earlier versions of Windows NT, the MFT was typically placed at the start of the disk space available to the file system. In Windows XP, the NTFS format utilities place the MFT 3 GB further into the disk space, which has been found to improve system performance by 5 to 10 percent.” Diskeeper does not reposition the MFT as recommended.

***NTFS Metadata
    PerfectDisk defragments all of the NTFS metadata files. These are the files that define the file system to NTFS. You can see a list of these files in PerfectDisk by clicking on the Excluded Files tab in the Statistics windows that appears after a partition analysis. PerfectDisk defragments all of these during the offline (boot time) defrag. Diskeeper does not defragment these files and they do not tell you they do not defragment them. In fact, on a partition with a badly fragmented $logfile Diskeeper will report zero fragmented files with zero fragments.

***Hibernate File
    PerfectDisk defragments the hibernate file on workstations.
    Diskeeper does not defragment the hibernate file.

Just a little information

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    I used to swear by perfect disk too guys,it dont defrag compressed files to good,if at all.Run a few tests like sandra,that sort or pcpit stop online after you use perfect disk & read through the results.

Diskkeeper for me too.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    Originally posted by skelley521@19 January 2004 - 16:35

Unique Differences Between PerfectDisk® V6.0 and Diskeeper® V8.0

***Windows Certification
    This is important to all Windows users. The certification means the PerfectDisk V6.0 code was submitted to VeriTest and subjected to the lengthy and rigorous test suite required by Microsoft. Certification means that the application meets all Microsoft criteria for driver compliance and “plays by the rules” for interaction with the operating system and other applications. Diskeeper V8.0 is not certified.

***Single Pass Defragmentation
    PerfectDisk employs a single-pass defragmentation engine. This means PerfectDisk will defragment 99-100% of all data files in one run regardless of the severity of fragmentation or the amount of free space. Diskeeper uses a multi-pass defragmentation engine. It will probably defragment files in one pass when free space is plentiful and files are not badly fragmented, but it will use a multi-pass strategy that “chips away” at the fragmentation if favorable conditions do not exist. The total elapsed time, CPU, and memory usage required by Diskeeper to get to the same quality exceeds those consumed by PerfectDisk’s one pass.

***Smart Placement Strategy
    PerfectDisk has a patented file placement strategy that is based on file modification activity. This strategy groups files with similar modification patterns together. When all “rarely modified” files (files that haven’t changed in 60 days) are grouped together the next time PerfectDisk runs it is very likely nothing in this file group has changed. The files are already contiguous and they are where we want them so PerfectDisk leaves them alone. The “recently modified” files (created or changed in 30 days) are adjacent to the contiguous free space. If one of these files grows the extent will be created in one piece from the contiguous free space. This file can be made contiguous with minimal shuffling of clusters. As a result, subsequent PerfectDisk defrag passes take less time, CPU, and memory. PerfectDisk implements Smart Placement during its single pass on the disk. This means that in one pass with PerfectDisk you get 99-100% of all data files defragmented, free space consolidated, and intelligent file placement based on a sound strategy. Diskeeper uses a random placement strategy. The next time you run Diskeeper it will begin at the start of the disk and begin to shuffle clusters until it can go no further or finishes. This wastes time and resources.

***MFT Placement
    PerfectDisk repositions the MFT to the location where Microsoft research has indicated provides a 5-10% performance improvement. In the Microsoft white paper “NTFS Preinstallation and Windows XP”, published January 16, 2003 the author’s state: “In Windows 2000 and earlier versions of Windows NT, the MFT was typically placed at the start of the disk space available to the file system. In Windows XP, the NTFS format utilities place the MFT 3 GB further into the disk space, which has been found to improve system performance by 5 to 10 percent.” Diskeeper does not reposition the MFT as recommended.

***NTFS Metadata
    PerfectDisk defragments all of the NTFS metadata files. These are the files that define the file system to NTFS. You can see a list of these files in PerfectDisk by clicking on the Excluded Files tab in the Statistics windows that appears after a partition analysis. PerfectDisk defragments all of these during the offline (boot time) defrag. Diskeeper does not defragment these files and they do not tell you they do not defragment them. In fact, on a partition with a badly fragmented $logfile Diskeeper will report zero fragmented files with zero fragments.

***Hibernate File
    PerfectDisk defragments the hibernate file on workstations.
    Diskeeper does not defragment the hibernate file.

Just a little information
    Althou shelly i havnt tried v6 i switch over from v5....i may give it a try.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    @skelley - yeah, read all that at the site
    (had to go check it out after seeing your link)

dumb question though....diskeeper isn't ms certified?
    even though theyre the people that made the windows deragger?
    wierd

@funkmob - you really dont have to post a screenshot dude,
    but if the analysis shows a bunch of red, or it tells you you need to defrag,
    my advice is to do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast