Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher Rank On Search Engines

How do I get my website to be on one of the top rankings on a search engine? My site used to be like #6 on Google and ever since my site was down for a day and was removed from Google, once they put it back, it was like on the 10th listing page! Is there anyway to get my site back on the top?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by downloader2008@19 January 2004 - 17:31
    How do I get my website to be on one of the top rankings on a search engine? My site used to be like #6 on Google and ever since my site was down for a day and was removed from Google, once they put it back, it was like on the 10th listing page! Is there anyway to get my site back on the top?
    there are rumors that google indexes a site by how much other sites link to that

the more links to your site,the more place i think

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    TRshady
    Im writing a guide on this .... will let you know when its done. Heres some pointers though:

* Exchange links with site already listed!
    * Have content rich pages and include your intentional keywords
    * Update your site often and use keywords in title and header tags
    * Do not use any form of frames or other navigational evils

Though step one really is the way which works best

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by TRshady@19 January 2004 - 17:59
    Im writing a guide on this .... will let you know when its done. Heres some pointers though:

* Have content rich pages and include your intentional keywords
    * Update your site often and use keywords in title and header tags
    * Do not use any form of frames or other navigational evils

Though step one really is the way which works best
    last 1 should helpin some search engines rather than google

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Originally posted by TRshady@19 January 2004 - 12:59

I'll try and do that.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    TRshady
    I'll be happy to exchange links with ya
    I got into google after three days with simply exchanging links with another site listed, better then waiting over 6 weeks dont ya think?, lol.

Will also improve your posistion as more sites linking to you, increase your pr

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    The real catch with Google is that it doesn't only rank you according to the quantity of the listed sites that link to you, but also by the quality (i.e. how highly they're ranked on Google).

So, getting a link from a site like dmoz.org or yahoo.com (the directories) will significantly boost your ranks. Other sites help too, the best thing to do is create affiliate networks where everyone links to eachother, that will also help your ranks a lot.

Every suggestion TRShady listed is correct as well, but as he said, doesn't help you as much on Google as links from other sites do.

This also means that the day your site was down was probably the day that a member of some directory which had it listed decided to check it and so he removed it from the directory. There could really be no other reason because if nothing big changed (and just 1 day passed like you say) then you should be ranked on Google in the same place (approximately) as you were before.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    how google indexing works has always been a mystery. People make their best guesses and it seems to work once in a while.
    Here is one other suggestion apart from the one's already mentioned:
    When you link your pages dont link it as "mypage.html" but instead write the whole url like "http://www.mysite.com/mypage.html"

There is a rumour that you might get a higher ranking if your site is approached by external links. This is one of the tricks
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    h1
    You can exploit PageRank, but I am not telling you how.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    [quoteWhen you link your pages dont link it as "mypage.html" but instead write the whole url like "http://www.mysite.com/mypage.html"[/quote]

While it&#39;s possible that this does increase your page ranking, i think it&#39;s a terrible think to do... it will totally screw up your entire site should you move to a new URL (or even move to a different directory/username on the same server).

You might as well use CSS&#39;s display:none; property to hide a bunch of keywords instead. But this is usually penazied by Altavista and such (not Google AFAIK though).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast