Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cpu?

_John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by OnYx@19 January 2004 - 22:32
    if i dont overclock is the amd 2500 still better and how much could the celeron (2.6ghz) be overclocked w/o any extra fans jus da 1 dat comes wit the cpu

:
    Okay, first off, a 2.6 Celeron would perform roughly equivlent to an AMD 2000+ I believe. Same with my old 2.2Ghz Celeron, it performs onpar with an AMD 1700+ on nearly every benchmark.

As for overclocking, you could if youwanted overclock the 2.6 Celeron to probably 3.4Ghz or so, with VERY good Ram, and proper cooling. The celerons only really come into their value when they are overclocked.

But in that same aspect, you can buy only moderately more expensive Ram, (3200Ram instead of 2700 that the 2500+ barton uses pretty much natively in a sense, because of the matching 333Mhz of both prodcuts.) But anyway, with just slightly higher ram, and even using your stock cooler, you can overclock your AMD 2500+ to 3200+ speeds, which would of course blow away that Celeron again.

I'd go with the 2500+ if I were you.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by OnYx@19 January 2004 - 21:32
    if i dont overclock is the amd 2500 still better and how much could the celeron (2.6ghz) be overclocked w/o any extra fans jus da 1 dat comes wit the cpu

:
    The 2500+ is still more powerful whichever way you look at it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Cache (pronounced cash)
    I always thought it was pronounced like k-a-e-ch like the word case with a sh at the end

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by OnYx@19 January 2004 - 19:32
    This is completely dependent upon the cooling in the new case that you buy.
    Even running at stock speeds, both CPUs will generate a fair amount of heat...the Intel a bit less, but still enough that your overall case cooling will be very important.
    I am not that familiar with stock Intel heatsinks, but AMD mixes theirs up seemingly at random, so looking into a aftermarket HSF unit would be a good idea.

At any rate, your CPU cooling is only as good as your case cooling will allow.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Evil Gemini@20 January 2004 - 07:39
    Cache (pronounced cash)
    I always thought it was pronounced like k-a-e-ch like the word case with a sh at the end
    Nope, it's pronounced pretty much exactly like 'cash'; it comes from the French "cacher" (to hide). In general terms a 'cache' is somewhere where you hide or store things - like a pirates' cache on a desert island.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    BANNED
    Yea I always thought you pronounced it like CASHEY (not cashi lol) like the eeeeeeeeey.

I stand corrected

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12