Thread: Windows Xp Startup

Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    I recently uninstalled my Antivirus prog without first turning off its autoprotect function because I assumed the uninstaller would do this ...

The uninstallation then went through ... requested a reboot .... but I received quick blue screen error message afterwards saying something to the effect that some protected file from the Antivirus prog could not be altered etc. prob becuase it was still running ... kernel error or something such. This is on Windows XP SP1.

Upon reboot, I reinstalled the Antivirus ... which went thru as a repair .. then disabled its autoprotect and uninstalled.

I now believe that everything is gone from my AntiVirus prog ....

My startup list now .... however has a new entry:

KernelFaultCheck %systemroot%\system32\dumrep 0 -k

which is loaded from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Is it safe to delete this entry from the startup list? What will this affect?

I know the memory dump is a record of errors etc ... but what this seems to show is that Windows XP is checking for a Kernel Fault everytime it starts up. Am I correct in assuming this?

Plz :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    KernelFaultCheck %systemroot%\system32\dumrep 0 -k

which is loaded from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    I think that's windows error reporting. I recognize the "dumrep 0 -k" Just leave it, it'll be gone.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    I know ... that's the problem .... acccording to the MS forums, it should have been under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce ..... but it's not ....

It's under Run ... and hs been sitting in my startup list for a while now ....