Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One Click Shutdown

Luca_Snipes's Avatar Poster

So how many processors have you fried so far??? Chips and components are obviously designed to be switched on and off as the majority of people shut down their pc every time its not in use. Besides how long are you planning to keep your current pc? if its less than 10 years or so then you don't really need to worry about shutting it down and doing damage to your chips
    So, with this in mind, can you explain how servers operate for 10+ years without being switched off?? they run the same chips as normal PC's (well, some do anyway)

also only reboot... i also have 98se, xp users have to turn there comp off indeed.. because else there ram will explode... 98se is stable as hell and doesn't suck to much ram
    again, with the servers, XP is based on the NT kernal, and if configured correcly the pc will run fine and use ~64MB ram, however, the NT kernal is also desiged to assign 4GB to everything....

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    where does these world going too? how many clicks it takes to shut down our pc? hehe

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    lol ummmm..... well One for me... shhh bad way tho... >> CLICK POWER BUTTON... lol... im going to break my computer like that

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Some servers run for over 10 years, but most of the time they're upgraded as well.

Most businesses constantly upgrade their machines every one to three years.

Most home owners can't afford to upgrade every year, but every three years is probably done. I've got a box that's over ten years old. I don't run it, though, it's just sitting around.

These aren't actually supported by printed statistics, they're just culled from my years of experience.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Originally posted by Luca_Snipes@ Posted on 5 March 2003 - 00:05
    So, with this in mind, can you explain how servers operate for 10, years without being switched off?? they run the same chips as normal PC's (well, some do anyway)

notice i said 10 years or SO suggesting longer. Twas only a rough estimate!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123