Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Israeli Ambassador

Mazel was asked to leave Stockholm's Museum of Antiquities Friday after he interfered with an exhibit by Israeli artist Dror Feiler, who has lived in Sweden for 30 years. Entitled Snow White and the Madness of Truth, the exhibit features a photo of 29-year-old Hanadi Jaradat, who killed herself and 19 Israelis at a beachfront restaurant in October.
    Full Story

Any toughs about this?

Personally I think that you could interpreted art in manny different ways, but a picture of a suicide bomber floating in blood well lets just say that I wouldn't see that as a tribute to terrorism.
    and even if that was the case It would fall under the freedom of speech act/law and still be legal if not inappropriate.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    The exhibit is part of the "Making Differences" exhibition, staged in advance of an upcoming anti-genocide conference hosted by the Swedish government.
    .As an "art piece" it is amatuer symbolism (the dramatic music in the background even worse so)
    It is therefore not good that the "artist" gets publicity for it - especially since there are billions of these politically correct - anti politic works -to be found among squatters and so called anarchists-it is not art.
    Had a normal person reacted to the work in such away - the "artist" would understand and probably respect
    The isreali ambassador needs to get out more - does he react this way to every anti isrealli caricatures.
    It is not often that people react in such an emotional way to art - this is an honor.
    I find Sharons statement that the art piece must be removed ridiculous and only "glorifies" the piece which should be simply disregarded.
    and blaming it as anti semetic is dangerous but then again that is always their excuse.

Dror Feiler is a musician/composer who was born in Tel Aviv in 1951 but now (2002) lives in Stockholm. He moved to Sweden in 1973 after completing service as a parachutist in the Israeli Defense Force. Feiler was one of the early refuseniks in 1970 when he turned down service in Gaza, then under the command of Ariel Sharon. Currently (2002) he is president of Jews for Israeli Palestinian Peace (JIPF). The group has been organizing Jewish activists in Sweden against the occupation ever since its inception in 1982. JIPF actively works with Palestinian organizations on such projects as joint delegations to officials of the Swedish government.
    -

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    well, how would you feel if someone came and killed your son, and then that same murderer (or suicide bomber in this case) was sybolized as a hero as an artifact in a museum?
    i think you would probably feel like you would want to ruin that "art" peice right?

tralalala

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by tralalala@21 January 2004 - 13:51
    well, how would you feel if someone came and killed your son, and then that same murderer (or suicide bomber in this case) was sybolized as a hero as an artifact in a museum?
    i think you would probably feel like you would want to ruin that "art" peice right?

tralalala
    Thats just the thing I don't think she's portrayed as a hero. but even if that was the case I still don't think it should be censured, and certainly not by a foreign government.

I agree whit Zedaxax
    .As an "art piece" it is amatuer symbolism
    but not with
    Had a normal person reacted to the work in such away - the "artist" would understand and probably respect

If a normal person decided that they didn't like a piece of art displayed in a museum and started to trash it they would be prosecuted for vandalism

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    well, i dont think that the person that made it thought she WASNT a hero...

also, its sad to see that sweden, a country israel has good relations with suddenly allows this... and in a museum!!

tralalala

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    suddenly allows this... and in a museum!!
    where else dude?
    You sound as over excited as the embassador - if you think that this should be prohibited go check out some images in rotten.com

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    internet.news
    Originally posted by ButWay@21 January 2004 - 13:06
    Mazel was asked to leave Stockholm's Museum of Antiquities Friday after he interfered with an exhibit by Israeli artist Dror Feiler, who has lived in Sweden for 30 years. Entitled Snow White and the Madness of Truth, the exhibit features a photo of 29-year-old Hanadi Jaradat, who killed herself and 19 Israelis at a beachfront restaurant in October.
    Full Story

Any toughs about this?

Personally I think that you could interpreted art in manny different ways, but a picture of a suicide bomber floating in blood well lets just say that I wouldn't see that as a tribute to terrorism.
    and even if that was the case It would fall under the freedom of speech act/law and still be legal if not inappropriate.
    sad

Killing yourself would not solve a problem, finally - believe or not, if commit
    suicide, he is dead and is no longer a problem, if he is alive demonstrating ...

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Killing yourself would not solve a problem, finally - believe or not, if commit
    suicide, he is dead and is no longer a problem, if he is alive demonstrating ...
    does suicide bombing count as demonstrating internetnews?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Hello!

Since I am Swede I know the full story that did not get out abroad!

This was a planed action by the Israeli ambassador. When he first arrived to the museum he moved very quickly and determined. Then when he arrived to the yard at which this particular art exhibition where placed he started to attack the artist and then the art itself very quicly it is quite obvious this was not just a impulsive act even though he claims it was it was a planed action.

As for the art piece itself it did not glorify any suicide bomber. the key is to read the associated text that is part of the art piece. It explains the intention of this artwork and the story behind the girl appearing on the picture.

Currently talks are beeing made between the Swedish government and the Israeli government to solve this situation. The Swedish foreign minister thinks that Ariel Sharons statement are just a missunderstanding and that he does not know the full story.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Why is it when something/someone is seen to critise or offend Israel/Jews that it's Automaticly painted as racist, the same thing happened in Sydney when Hanan Ashrawi was awarded the Sydney Peace Prize

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast