Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hd Problem

Benno's Avatar Poster
    I have a little problem with my HD.

A while ago Norton Disk Doctor showed me this error message you can see on the screenshot,

as it said i backed up all my data and clicked ok.

After Norton finished it had deleted 2 of 3 partitions I have on that drive. I used Partition Magic 8.0 to recreate them and everything worked fine.
    But when I restarted Disk Doctor after I recreated the partitions, it showed me the same error again. After I did it twice and the error kept returning I ignored it because I couldn't notice a problem when using the drive.

But yesterday while downloading a movie with Bittorrent I got a blue screen with a message "Can not write on drive G" and when I try to copy the partially movie to another drive it copies almost to the end then gives me an error message "Movie could not be copied. Device does not recognize the command"

Is there a way to solve this problem without having to backup all data on the disc as I have over 100GB on it.
    And how can I avoid this problem in the future?
    Could it be because I have a 160GB HD on Win98?

Thanks Benno

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Lick My Lovepump
    This is software problem methinks.

What file system do you use?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    What size of partitions are you creating?

Win98 only supports partitions up to 32GB, but I suspect that Partition Magic may allow you to create bigger partitions.

In theory, 32GB is the maximum size for any Fat32 partition, but Win2k and XP somehow manage to deal with partitions bigger than this which is probably why PM allows bigger partitions.

In any case, there may be a problem in Win98 with disks over 137GB, but this is only a guess.

Edit: btw, there are add-on drivers which allow you to create NTFS volumes in Win98, that may be a solution to your problem. It is something like NTFSDOS or DOSNTFS. I know both of these exist, but only one of them is what you would need.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    ok thats the problem. Two partitions are 48GB and one is 51GB, though the first time I created it I used Seagate DiscWizard

But its strange that it worked fine for quite some time. However if I creat all partitions smaller than 32GB I shouldnt get this anymore?

And then is there a ways to correct this without removing all the data?

Edit: missed your edit I'm off to google it

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Forget it, I've just done a little investigation.

There is a NTFSDOS freeware version which is read only, and a NTFS for Win98 freeware version, also read only. There is an NTFSDOS Pro (not freeware) which is read/write, but at this moment there is no read/write version of NTFS for Win98 .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Benno@21 January 2004 - 16:48
    However if I creat all partitions smaller than 32GB I shouldnt get this anymore?

And then is there a ways to correct this without removing all the data?
    Partitions less than 32GB should solve your problem. And I believe Partition Magic 8 should be able to resize your partitions and move them around for you without losing your data. But I would make sure you have a copy first, just to be on the safe side.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Thanks a lot I'm gonna try it with Partition Magic

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Filesharinghelp.com
    I have used a 57.2gb partition with win 98 in the past , i think theres a newer version of FDISK that allows this

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    may i suggest a move to win 2000, and convert to ntfs? alot more stable than 98, and drive is more secure

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    In theory, 32GB is the maximum size for any Fat32 partition, but Win2k and XP somehow manage to deal with partitions bigger than this which is probably why PM allows bigger partitions.
    Lets sort this once and for all 32GB IS not the largest only if you have 2000 on, its all to do with the size of the clusters per sector BUT I agree its not the best NTFS is for many reasons.

From :- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;154997

FAT32 Features
    FAT32 provides the following enhancements over previous implementations of the FAT file system:
    FAT32 supports drives up to 2 terabytes in size.

NOTE:Windows 2000 only supports FAT32 partitions up to a size of 32 GB.

FAT32 uses space more efficiently. FAT32 uses smaller clusters (that is, 4-KB clusters for drives up to 8 GB in size), resulting in 10 to 15 percent more efficient use of disk space relative to large FAT or FAT16 drives.

FAT32 is more robust. FAT32 can relocate the root folder and use the backup copy of the file allocation table instead of the default copy. In addition, the boot record on FAT32 drives is expanded to include a backup copy of critical data structures. Therefore, FAT32 drives are less susceptible to a single point of failure than existing FAT16 drives.

FAT32 is more flexible. The root folder on a FAT32 drive is an ordinary cluster chain, so it can be located anywhere on the drive. The previous limitations on the number of root folder entries no longer exist. In addition, file allocation table mirroring can be disabled, allowing a copy of the file allocation table other than the first one to be active. These features allow for dynamic resizing of FAT32 partitions. Note, however, that although the FAT32 design allows for this capability, it will not be implemented by Microsoft in the initial release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast