Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Conclusions After Some Experiments...

OK, after getting completely pissed off regarding the speed of Raza as compared with the FT network (for which I use K-Lite 2.6 PR1), I went on and made some expereiments to see if I have to kick Raza out of my PC. The reason was that although K-Lite could manage speeds above 15-20 KB/s (sometimes 30+), Raza was always below 10 KB/s (usually around 4-5 KB/s).

After my (unscientific may I say) extensive speed tests, my conclusions are:

1. On the G2 network, Raza got acceptable speeds (up to 10-15 KB/s). Problem is that VERY FEW files exist on G2, so at the mom this is unimportant. If G2 becomes more popular, then this might be a stronger point.
    2. Same with G1, yet this is a dying network, so no future here...
    3. In edonkey2000, the speed is just PLAIN S**T!!! Speeds below 2 KB/s are not uncommon at all, here. I think this is scandalous! Although ed2k has definitely the greatest variety of files, you simply have to wait for week(s) to get your file. And let me point here that installing emule didn't change things: My d/ls continued to run at a snail speed (despite having my machine on 24/7, so I don't buy the u/l-d/l ratio crap).
    4. With torrents, things are quite good. I got speeds around 15-20 KB/s, although the volatility is very high. I used shadow's client in the past, and I do not think that there is a significant difference between the two clients (I remind you that this is NOT a scientific research, so this might be a wrong conclusion, but I think it is not). Problem with BT files is that you get only new releases, which means that if for example I want to watch "Deerhunter", then forget it...

OK, so here's my conclusion: It isn't Shereaza that sucks, it is the ed2k network which provides 90% of its files. So if you want to get a large file (which is NOT an app, because here integrity matters, and Raza gets a 10/10 on this count), then I would try the following order: 1. FT, 2. BT (via Raza if you don't have a separate client, and I think you don't need one), 3. Raza (and cross your fingers that there will be enough G2 uploaders so that you want need to get it via the crappy ed2k)...

OK, that's it for today! I am tired...

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Excellent points. I pretty much agree with you.

It's a shame that raza depends so heavily on the eD2K network.
    Just a quick browse around this section of the forum will tell you how low peoples opinions of Shareaza have sunk because of this single factor.

Theres nothing wrong with the client itself, which is essentially why I've been a defender of it since this world opened.

My advice to folks who want to access the eD2K network:
    Forget about using Shareaza to do it. Get Overnet Lite instead.

( REALITY is gonna love this )

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Excellent points. I pretty much agree with you.
    Thx!

My advice to folks who want to access the eD2K network: Forget about using Shareaza to do it. Get Overnet Lite instead.
    But why use overnet lite? I have not tried it (nor have I tried overnet), but since it is the ed2k network that sucks what can a different client do better than Raza (or emule)? Except if overnet lite has tricks similar to K-Lite (Supreme Being Participation Level) so the sh**ty credit system of ed2k gets bypassed and you can d/l with ease. If this happens (just an assumption of mine, as I said I know nothing about overnet/overnet lite) then it would be definitely worth installing! B)

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    overnet and overnet lite, emule, emonkey and all this crap is not different then Raza, but I agree with you guys that the program is pretty good, with no spyware.
    Ed2k network sux because as jackc says that it is the crappy credit sys which effects the download speed. BTW: I have a trick for Raza and emonkey users.
    Always make servers starting with 207.44.XX.XX have higher periority. These servers are really fast,most the other servers suck. I got higher periority of downloading because I'm always connecting to the above servers and uploading to ppl in these srvers only, which now makes me download many things from this netw0rk. Anyways it might only work for me and not others. 'nyways give it a try.
    Only upload to one server or to the servers I mentioned above, because then you would have a higher credit in the monkey credit system. If you upload to a different server each time, it will be harder to get to a higher level in the credit system, if that makes any sense.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Thanks for the server tip, supersonic. I&#39;ll try that.

The only reason I recommend Overnet Lite is simply because it gets on with the job of downloading as soon as it finds sources.
    Every other client I&#39;ve used to access eD2K seems to find heaps of sources... and then just sticks you in an endless queue .

Look in the eDonkey/eMule section of the forum for a download link to Overnet Lite if you want to try it for yourself.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Jonne's Avatar Poster
    Shareaza works a lot better if you just don&#39;t connect to edonkey, try it...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Always make servers starting with 207.44.XX.XX have higher periority. These servers are really fast,most the other servers suck.
    Interesting suggestion supersonic... I&#39;ll give it a try&#33;

I am glad that my findings are correct. (As I had said, the lack any technical foundation, and they were just observation-based). So, let&#39;s hope that G2 gets more popular, as this seems the best solution for better Raza speeds... B)

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by uNz&#091;i
    ,21 January 2004 - 14:02] My advice to folks who want to access the eD2K network:
    Forget about using Shareaza to do it. Get Overnet Lite instead.

( REALITY is gonna love this )
    Well there it is, and that goes for having a seperate BT client as well such as Shadow.
    The only thing Shareaza should be used for is G2 for now...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Overnet was created by metamachine to overcome some problems with there edonkey client, which it seems to have suceeded, but from what i read edonkey is still growing..

Overnet lite is great, there are diffrences between overnet and other clients like Edonkey and emule.

It&#39;s serverless and is similar to kazaa decentralised system.

Also there&#39;s a system called the horde which is similar to bittorent which partners you with other people downloading the same file, it this i think gives overnet better speeds.

When it comes to Shareaza, I think the lack of sources on G2 is part of the problem
    but i also belive there maybe somthing not quite with the protacols involved, which might explain fast speeds at the start then sudden slowness, also problems with finishing large files...

From what i heard Shareaza was a better client when it was by itself before it started supporting g1 or ed2k...

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by junkyardking+2 February 2004 - 19:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (junkyardking &#064; 2 February 2004 - 19:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>From what i heard Shareaza was a better client when it was by itself before it started supporting g1 or ed2k...[/b]
    Shareaza has always supported G1 (Gnutella 1.)<!--QuoteBegin-jackc@21 January 2004 - 13:49
    After my (unscientific may I say) extensive speed tests, my conclusions are:

1. On the G2 network, Raza got acceptable speeds (up to 10-15 KB/s). Problem is that VERY FEW files exist on G2, so at the mom this is unimportant. If G2 becomes more popular, then this might be a stronger point.
    2. Same with G1, yet this is a dying network, so no future here...
    [/quote]G1 (Gnutella 1) is in fact growing, although at a slower rate than more popular networks. It has a reputation of slowness and &#39;as a last resort&#39; network when your connection is so firewalled that no other network/s will work.

BearShare, Limewire, and Shareaza comprise a large portion of the Gnutella 1 network -- practically all of which are decent G1 clients when configured correctly, although there&#39;s many (beta?) versions of each which are disasters.

Currently, the G1 measured network size is about 200,000 users at any moment -- however due to the &#39;spiderweb&#39; nature of the network, the ACTUAL size is larger than this by some unknown amount.

Download and upload speeds vary immensely due to most people being on dial-up or having LOTS of uploads going at once, thinking their broadband connection can handle it. At the other end of the spectrum are firewalled T-1 lines which have very little upload traffic, so if you find and download from one of them you might get downloads speeds of 50-170 KB/sec just from 1 alone. Understanding the network and special strategies to find files on it is nearly paramount to getting good download (and upload&#33 speeds.

Unfortunately, none of the Gnutella 1 programs are excellent (yet&#33 at being able to auto-find more sources for slow downloads... even though more sources OFTEN EXIST. This means to get the most out of them requires quite a bit of micro-managing them.

However, because the network is still EVOLVING (Gnutella v0.6 is being finalized with improvement plans for Gnutella v0.8 and v1.0 being hashed out), things should get better. But during beta roll-outs, things can temporarily get very bad if the &#39;latest-and-greatest&#39; changes accidentally sabotage the network. Almost all large p2p file-sharing networks are inherently fragile, and Gnutella seems even moreso.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast