Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nasty Bug In Bios

atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    my bios supports UltraDMA HDDs, for full capacity (the bios can easily read it) However, windows XP cannot.

to add to the confusion, longhorn PDC can see the missing 20 gb, but cannot write to it at all...

this issue went away for a day when i upgraded my BIOS, but came back again. I have important stuff that i stored on the other 20 gigs, and now that it wont show up, im FUCKED!

plz help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    it sounds like you have a software/formating problem. did you try using chkdsk or norton disk doctor (if you have it) . maybe you have a (boot) virus. try rescaning for new hardware in the device manger.

it could also be that you did not flash right (or it went wrong) try flashing with a older (backup) copy of your bios

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    As far as I am aware, there is no restriction with XP regarding drive size (btw, you haven't actually said how big your drive is). If there ever was a capacity limit, it is certainly resolved with SP1a.

I'm a little confused when you say that Longhorn PDC can see it. Is this by transfering the disk to another machine or over the network? If the latter, no external OS can see the disk directly, only through the OS on the XP machine, which means that the XP machine must be able to see it.

This sounds more like a permissions problem rather than physical access restrictions.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by lynx@21 January 2004 - 18:18
    As far as I am aware, there is no restriction with XP regarding drive size (btw, you haven't actually said how big your drive is). If there ever was a capacity limit, it is certainly resolved with SP1a.

I'm a little confused when you say that Longhorn PDC can see it. Is this by transfering the disk to another machine or over the network? If the latter, no external OS can see the disk directly, only through the OS on the XP machine, which means that the XP machine must be able to see it.

This sounds more like a permissions problem rather than physical access restrictions.
    1) 160 gig HDD
    2) while installing Longhorn PDC (the developer's conference build) it can see 20 untouched gigabytes on the HDD (unallocated space) unfortunately, it cannot write to this portion of the drive AT ALL. XP simply cant see the missing space (lol)

this PC has (as of late) 3 OSes, win2000 (main OS), winXP (secondary OS) and winLH. O have tried reading the drive from all 3 OSes, only longhorn can read the missing 20 gigs, but it cant write to them at all...

no OS is restricted in this case, and I have had this issue from day 1 of purchasing the HDD...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    simple then bad hardive...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    There IS a limit at 137GB, which sounds like the limit you are hitting. However, this is not a limit in any of the OS's you have mentioned, so it sounds like it may be a mobo/bios issue. Check to see if there's a bios upgrade.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    137Gb is the limit in xp without sp1
    Thermaltake Xaser III
    Antec Truepower 430W
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
    AMD Barton 2800+ (@ 3200+)
    Aero 7+
    1Gb PC3200 Twinmos Dual Channel (@ 6,3,3,2)
    Sapphire 9800Xt
    2x WD 120Gb Sata in Raid 0
    Plextor DVD-Rom 16x
    Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
    ADI 19" P900 CRT

3dMark03 = 6326
    Aquamark = 43767

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by B_U_B_B_A@22 January 2004 - 06:56
    thats probly it as i do not have sp1

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    Originally posted by B_U_B_B_A@22 January 2004 - 04:56
    Hmmm...... Xbox's have that limit too.... I wonder why

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    i think its sumthin to to with the addressing..sp1 changes it to 48bit addressing which allows it to access beyond the 137Gb...xbox might not have this which means the restriction is 137Gb as well
    Thermaltake Xaser III
    Antec Truepower 430W
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
    AMD Barton 2800+ (@ 3200+)
    Aero 7+
    1Gb PC3200 Twinmos Dual Channel (@ 6,3,3,2)
    Sapphire 9800Xt
    2x WD 120Gb Sata in Raid 0
    Plextor DVD-Rom 16x
    Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
    ADI 19" P900 CRT

3dMark03 = 6326
    Aquamark = 43767

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast