Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heatsink Question

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    I've decided on a good hs. i'm either getting the thermalright sp-94 or the Thermalright SLK-947U with a vantec tornado 92mm. (poor kid strikes back! lol). here's my quesitons:

1. how r these hs's in ocing? i know they're the best u can get (probably) but anyone have any experience with these heavy mofos?

2. the tornado has a 3 pin connector for the mobo. if u use speedfan, would i be able to change the rpm of the tornado? i heard from some dude that u can't. hmmm....

and btw, i've decided to go with either the asus p4c800 deluxe or the p4p800 deluxe. which ever one i get depends on which auction i win on ebay. both are pretty fitting for my needs.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@21 January 2004 - 22:20
    I've decided on a good hs. i'm either getting the thermalright sp-94 or the Thermalright SLK-947U with a vantec tornado 92mm. (poor kid strikes back! lol). here's my quesitons:

1. how r these hs's in ocing? i know they're the best u can get (probably) but anyone have any experience with these heavy mofos?

Both of these HS are very popular on the OC.com forum, but the 947-u is still too new to tell how effective it is.
    Most folks are using Arctic Silver 5 TIM with a breakin period of 200 hours, so it might be a while before good data is available.

The Tornado fans are also very well thought of, but somewhat noisy.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by clocker+22 January 2004 - 01:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 22 January 2004 - 01:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@21 January 2004 - 22:20
    I&#39;ve decided on a good hs. i&#39;m either getting the thermalright sp-94 or the Thermalright SLK-947U with a vantec tornado 92mm. (poor kid strikes back&#33; lol). here&#39;s my quesitons:

1. how r these hs&#39;s in ocing? i know they&#39;re the best u can get (probably) but anyone have any experience with these heavy mofos?

Both of these HS are very popular on the OC.com forum, but the 947-u is still too new to tell how effective it is.
    Most folks are using Arctic Silver 5 TIM with a breakin period of 200 hours, so it might be a while before good data is available.

The Tornado fans are also very well thought of, but somewhat noisy. [/b][/quote]
    ok. yea, the tornado fans will keep my future oced cpu very cool (other thread). that&#39;s also y i&#39;m asking if i&#39;m able to change the fan&#39;s rpm in speedfan if the 3 pin connector is plugged into the mobo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@22 January 2004 - 05:20
    I&#39;ve decided on a good hs. i&#39;m either getting the thermalright sp-94 or the Thermalright SLK-947U with a vantec tornado 92mm. (poor kid strikes back&#33; lol). here&#39;s my quesitons:

1. how r these hs&#39;s in ocing? i know they&#39;re the best u can get (probably) but anyone have any experience with these heavy mofos?

2. the tornado has a 3 pin connector for the mobo. if u use speedfan, would i be able to change the rpm of the tornado? i heard from some dude that u can&#39;t. hmmm....

and btw, i&#39;ve decided to go with either the asus p4c800 deluxe or the p4p800 deluxe. which ever one i get depends on which auction i win on ebay. both are pretty fitting for my needs.
    1. Like all others, these hs&#39;s are absolutely useless for overclocking, since they have a maximum frequency of zero. This is not surprising, since their purpose is cooling.

2. A three pin connector is no guarantee of anything. The three wires are power, ground and tachometer. Speed control with speedfan is dependant upon the motherboard being able to vary the power, but you should be ok with the Asus board. But you should not need it anyway, the Asus board incorporates it&#39;s own fan speed controller.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by lynx@22 January 2004 - 00:48

1. Like all others, these hs&#39;s are absolutely useless for overclocking, since they have a maximum frequency of zero. This is not surprising, since their purpose is cooling.

2. A three pin connector is no guarantee of anything. The three wires are power, ground and tachometer. Speed control with speedfan is dependant upon the motherboard being able to vary the power, but you should be ok with the Asus board. But you should not need it anyway, the Asus board incorporates it&#39;s own fan speed controller.
    1.)

2.) This is true, but the Asus control seems to only vary from "fast" to "faster". SpeedFan is far more controlable.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Hey lynx...what do you mean there useless for overclocking?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@22 January 2004 - 07:41
    What&#39;s he trying to do? Overclock his heatsink?

Heatsinks all by themselves don&#39;t overclock very well.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+22 January 2004 - 08:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 22 January 2004 - 08:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@22 January 2004 - 07:41
    What&#39;s he trying to do? Overclock his heatsink?

Heatsinks all by themselves don&#39;t overclock very well. [/b][/quote]
    yea, of course. I meant how good are these hs&#39;s for ocing the cpu? (u knew wat i meant)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Abu, read this.

When I first saw the heatpipe arrangement in this HS, I questioned how well it could work...the heatpipes are laid out wrong.
    This comparison was a real eyeopener for me as I have the Zalman 7000cu and don&#39;t much like it, but it outperforms the Thermalright in this test.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BTW Clocker, hows your water cooled rig going ?

Had any probs with it ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast