Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wierd Xp Crash

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    task manager---run-----explorer.exe..........restarts the windows shell. All taskbar apps should reappear after that.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    FST Retiree
    Originally posted by shn@25 January 2004 - 04:31
    task manager---run-----explorer.exe..........restarts the windows shell. All taskbar apps should reappear after that.
    taskbar apps may reappear....but alot of system tray icons wont.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    KazaaBoy's Avatar Nothing On The Moon.
    Originally posted by dg_mortal+25 January 2004 - 01:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dg_mortal @ 25 January 2004 - 01:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-I.am@24 January 2004 - 16:39
    yup, but i dont think this is an explorer crash case. Some software just dont show up in applications like blackice. They run as processes.
    it is an explorer crash. they are talking about the system tray icons.....not the applications section of the task manager. they only showed the task manager to point out they have no access to the said programs after they disappeared.

as far as a solution....you have 2 options. you can close each program in the processes tab and then re-open each of them (which will restore the icons to the system tray), or a quick logoff and then logging back on will bring them back. its probably best for the system to logoff and then log back on....abruptly ending alot of processes in the task manager can cause system instability since the programs are not being shut down properly. and you might want to find the cause of the crashes and then just not do whatever is causing them (such as clicking on the "show desktop" shortcut in your quicklaunch.....an easier way to do this which doesnt seem to cause any problems for me is the Win+D key combination). [/b][/quote]
    What you said dg_mortal is exactly what&#39;s happening

I did what you suggested

you can close each program in the processes tab and then re-open each of them (which will restore the icons to the system tray)
    and it worked when I reopen the programs they appear in the system tray icons. This is a better option then logging off but would it become unstable if I do it that way?

Another thing that&#39;s bothering me is, why does it do that? What&#39;s thr reason explorer.exe crashes and how can I prevent it.

Thanks all

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    FST Retiree
    Originally posted by KazaaBoy@25 January 2004 - 10:32
    but would it become unstable if I do it that way?

Another thing that&#39;s bothering me is, why does it do that?&nbsp; What&#39;s thr reason explorer.exe crashes and how can I prevent it.
    it may not cause instability....but it could. programs should always be shut down properly from the file menu and then clicking exit or by right clicking the systray icon and choosing exit, etc. as far as the explorer crashes....its been that way forever. i guess bill gates designed windows to automatically refresh itself if it feels dirty. i dont really know but it is the most annoying aspect of windows.....something that most windows users have come to expect and just deal with (couldnt this be considered a form of brainwashing by microsoft? ).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    KazaaBoy's Avatar Nothing On The Moon.
    So that&#39;s a no then, there is no around it because of M&#036;

Thanks for your help man B)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    BANNED
    Originally posted by KazaaBoy@25 January 2004 - 13:32
    So that&#39;s a no then, there is no around it because of M&#036;

Thanks for your help man B)
    Actually, newer apps have in their features that they return to the system tray after an explorer.exe crash.

I think k-lite 2.4.2 or 2.4.3 has this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12