Thread: Ram Prob

BANNED
    hi ppl, I just went down to my local futureshop to get a 256mb sdram upgrade. I waited there and breought the comp in, to my surprise the kingston 256mb sdram did not work, so they tried another brand of ram, and then another. I was there for 2 hours just waiting as no other ram was detected in my computer except for the 2 64mb sticks that I had in initially. I am sure the ram is sd and they tried using 133 and 100 pin or something ram. My computer is a hp pavillion 6736 from 2000. is it my ocmputer's fault that the ram will not work, or is it just the futureshop techs have no clue what the hell they are doing

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I think you need to remove the 2x 64mb sticks and put the 256mb into the first slot. Only after it detects the 256mb module would I then add the others one at a time in the hope that they all would work together.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    k thx

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Another thought, the guy maybe a fool as it may have 2xSDRAM & 2xDDR slot's & he was trying to use both DDR & SDRAM, & you can't use them both, only can pick one or other. I'am presuming that the 2 64Mb SDRAM where sloted in & you have 2 free slots as well yes?

If not & got 3 slot's then revert to post above about removing the other memory & sot the new one in, still don't work then it's ethier A) Memory or B) you computer may have a limit on memory it can handle. Then i ask the question, how old is you computer?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    BIOS update. Try that.I had the same prob with a buddy of mines computer.He had it out to me to remove the blasetr virus for him and do a little repair work at the same time.When I opened up his case I found that he had more ram installed than he thought.It only counted 128mb on startup but he had 192 installed.I ran belarc advisor on it and it said that there was more ram installed than was being detected by the BIOS and that I should do a BIOS update to try to fix the prob.I ran the update and bingo,she was all fixed up.
    It's worth a shot.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive