Thread: Kazaa Owner Gets Ok To Sue Movie, Record Companies

Kazaa Owner Gets OK to Sue Movie, Record Companies
    Fri Jan 23, 7:58 PM ET Add Technology - Internet Report to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A U.S. federal court has cleared the way for Kazaa file-sharing software owner Sharman Networks to sue the entertainment industry for copyright infringement, Sharman said on Friday.

Sharman, targeted by studios and record companies because its software is used to trade music and video files, has sought to turn the tables on the industry, accusing it of misusing Kazaa software to invade users' privacy and send corrupt files and threatening messages.

Studios and record companies had asked the court to throw out Sharman's countersuit, but U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson in Los Angeles declined to do so.

Sharman, headquartered on the island nation of Vanuatu in the South Pacific, said it would pursue the case.

Source - Yahoo News

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    internet.news
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984@25 January 2004 - 17:11
    Kazaa Owner Gets OK to Sue Movie, Record Companies 
    Fri Jan 23, 7:58 PM ET  Add Technology - Internet Report to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A U.S. federal court has cleared the way for Kazaa file-sharing software owner Sharman Networks to sue the entertainment industry for copyright infringement, Sharman said on Friday.

Sharman, targeted by studios and record companies because its software is used to trade music and video files, has sought to turn the tables on the industry, accusing it of misusing Kazaa software to invade users' privacy and send corrupt files and threatening messages.

Studios and record companies had asked the court to throw out Sharman's countersuit, but U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson in Los Angeles declined to do so.

Sharman, headquartered on the island nation of Vanuatu in the South Pacific, said it would pursue the case.

Source - Yahoo News
    I think some guys at Sharman are not really interested in free sharing, they are just searching for their own business.

K-Lite is defined by its Users now.

It is porbably not bad in some ways as the big companies would defeat themselves
    maybe.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Talk about irony!

RIAA trying to get their copyrighted files off of the network, whereas Sharman Networks is suing for copyright infringement.

The whole thing is ironic.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Double Agent
    i'd love to see these fuckers go at each other

what a drama

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I forgot to give my own opinion at the end of the article, so I shall do it now!

I hope the RIAA is smashed to pieces !!

Now they will have to pay for their greed, and especially after what they did to that 12 year old girl, those scum deserve everything they get !!

People should be able to share freely, and the singers could still earn money from concerts and TV appearances.

But all that stupid old git Cary Sherman cares about is money - RIAA president has a salary of a million dollars a year, I've heard. They couldn't care less about the singers under their "care".

I'll be glad to see the end of that arrogant organisation - and we will all be able to celebrate. All art is a form of human expression, and should not have a value put on it.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984@25 January 2004 - 18:37
    But all that stupid old git Cary Sherman cares about is money - RIAA president has a salary of a million dollars a year, I've heard.  They couldn't care less about the singers under their "care".
    He earns a $764,184 annual salary.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by NightStalker+25 January 2004 - 23:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NightStalker @ 25 January 2004 - 23:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@25 January 2004 - 18:37
    But all that stupid old git Cary Sherman cares about is money - RIAA president has a salary of a million dollars a year, I&#39;ve heard. They couldn&#39;t care less about the singers under their "care".
    He earns a &#036;764,184 annual salary. [/b][/quote]
    Still too much, nevertheless&#33;&#33;
    The reason why I thought it was &#036;1m is because I remember reading an article last year about the previous president Hilary Rosen, and it said she earnt that much.