Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Friend Got Caught!

Poster BT Rep: +3
    Yah, a couple of days ago my friend was sent a letter from the RIAA about certain songs he downloaded off Kazaa. The letter basicly said you got caught and have to pay a $600 dollar fine. F.Y.I he had only a couple of songs and had a 56k connection.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    I don't think it is a fine, but a settlement proposition. The RIAA isn't a government agency so they cannot send out fine.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    i smell bullshty or a Riaa informant

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Double Agent
    it's easy, just tell ur isp and riaa that ur account was stolen and that ur not responsible

they'll listen to that bullshit

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by ZeroTolerance@24 January 2004 - 00:57
    Ok u dont have to believe me, I didn't believe it either until I saw the letter.
    I don't why they would go after someone with a couple of files.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    They don't have the power to fine ur friend. I think it was just a threat or some type of scam...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by dsa16+24 January 2004 - 01:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dsa16 @ 24 January 2004 - 01:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ZeroTolerance@24 January 2004 - 00:57
    Ok u dont have to believe me, I didn&#39;t believe it either until I saw the letter.
    I don&#39;t why they would go after someone with a couple of files. [/b][/quote]
    like i said i smell bullshty or a riaa informant unless u provide good screenshots of the letter.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by dsa16@23 January 2004 - 18:25
    Yah, a couple of days ago my friend was sent a letter from the RIAA about certain songs he downloaded off Kazaa. The letter basicly said you got caught and have to pay a &#036;600 dollar fine. F.Y.I he had only a couple of songs and had a 56k connection.
    The RIAA has not at this time sued anyone for DOWNLOADING music files off Kazaa. They&#39;ve only gone after distributers/uploaders -- and then typically only if that person is sharing 100&#39;s if not >1,000 music files.

Unless more information (basically proving he was sharing these files as well) is given, this can be considered FUD.

If the friend in question was using regular Kazaa, (ie: wasn&#39;t hiding their shared files list, didn&#39;t block ip port 1214, and didn&#39;t have the RIAA bad ip blocklist enabled) then it is slightly more understandable that s/he was found.

Now if someone on Kazaa Lite K++, which is running all the preventative measures -- except not running via a proxy, were &#39;busted&#39; for sharing ~100 music files... then I&#39;d worry slightly.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I don&#39;t believe it at all&#33;&#33; The people they sued had an average of 800 songs being shared, according to a news article I read (see other topics in this forum).

They wouldn&#39;t give a fine either, just a settlement proposition, as Error403 said.

I will only believe it if you scan the letter and attach it to your post. Otherwise I will just treat this as scaremongering.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    internet.news
    Originally posted by dsa16@24 January 2004 - 00:25
    Yah, a couple of days ago my friend was sent a letter from the RIAA about certain songs he downloaded off Kazaa. The letter basicly said you got caught and have to pay a &#036;600 dollar fine. F.Y.I he had only a couple of songs and had a 56k connection.
    If 600&#036; isn&#39;t much for your friend, it is probably faster to pay it.

But: I think, you have certain rights also of privacy, and should protect fight for
    them. Normally a fine only could be offered by a judge after all evidence was shown. You should inform together about all informations at local courts

You can PM me, ask me openly, I will try to help, but aas I know the local court or a lawyer should have better suggestions what you can do now The best would be if you have other friends which studied law.

Yeah, if you scan the letter, that would be fine - but you can mark the NAMES if your friend want some privacy, what I would understand obviously

nice dreams.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast