Thread: Is Downloading Video, Not Mp3 Audio, Also Illegal?

I don't really do the whole song-downloading or software piracy thing. For me, I use KLite to download video files of older TV shows I miss, like Wonder Years or Freaks and Geeks.

Does the RIAA or any other entity take issue with this use?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    It is illegal to download anything that is copyrighted. The RIAA takes care of the music, the MPAA takes care of the movies.

3. File Sharing   -   #3

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by KrackHead2k@25 January 2004 - 16:15
    It is illegal to download anything that is copyrighted. The RIAA takes care of the music, the MPAA takes care of the movies.
    I've heard from friend/s (won't mention names) who have gotten copyright warning (Cease and Desist style) emails from MPAA for sharing TV shows on p2p file-sharing networks.

Something can be copyrighted and still be legal to share so long as the copyright holder (as opposed to the artist, which often isn't the SAME as the copyright holder) gives the right to share it. (ie: right to copy = copyright)

There is also the case where the copyright holder has either ceased to exist (the company responsible is out of business for instance) and then such things have fallen into public domain (safe to copy) generally by default.

It is basically up to the copyright holders to bring up cases of minor or even major copyright violations to law enforcement. It is not up to law enforcement to go out of its way to 'police' such civil matters.

HOWEVER, with laws such as the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998), some copyright issues have gone from being civil matters to being criminal matters -- even felony issues!

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by KrackHead2k@25 January 2004 - 21:15
    Who takes care of the software

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    softwares is done by their on companies