Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User Informations: Ip Addresses

Double Agent
    whenever we post the forum marks our ip address in our posts and only admins/mods can see it.

I'd like to know there are any other records that can be used to id users on this forum besides ips in our posts.

server logs? and is it deleted? or archived on a periodic basis?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I only use vpn connections off campus. The ip I have would be one of a vpn server that I use from a few other states

However I do use http proxies from time to time but none that are transparent.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@26 January 2004 - 00:36
    whenever we post the forum marks our ip address in our posts and only admins/mods can see it.

I'd like to know there are any other records that can be used to id users on this forum besides ips in our posts.

server logs? and is it deleted? or archived on a periodic basis?
    do you allow your browser to load images from 3rd party sites?

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Double Agent
    let's get back to the topics ppl

i'd like to hear replies from the admins since they're the ones maintaining the server logs and archies.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@25 January 2004 - 20:23
    let's get back to the topics ppl

i'd like to hear replies from the admins since they're the ones maintaining the server logs and archies.
    Maybe since your just a "member" like the rest of us they dont have to disclose that.

Become a mod/admin and find out.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    James Bond Rulez is paranoid about IP address he loves them and is obsessed with finding out what ppl know everywhere hes been

he literately sits there all day with net stat on to find out who's trying to fuck him up

that letter you got from your ISP must have really got to your head.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Adster@26 January 2004 - 17:42
    James Bond Rulez is paranoid about IP address he loves them and is obsessed with finding out what ppl know everywhere hes been

he literately sits there all day with net stat on to find out who's trying to fuck him up

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Adster@26 January 2004 - 14:42

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Poster
    NTL - my ISP use their own proxy servers as a matter of course.

For an entirely different reason from security of the user, but what the heck, it works for me.

I also sometimes use an anonymous proxy (not here, no point) so it is double safe.

Chill and relax, you are doing nothing wrong posting on this forum. Your IP here is of no interest to anyone.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Well, do you answer such posts as:

Where do you come from?

What is your Job?

Whats your Zip/Postcode?

Post your Pic here....

If yes, you can probably be identified..... however I refuse to believe that anyone could then hold the board responsible in that scenario

No one has access to the IP address' except Mods/Admin; and has been stated, an IP address is useless by itself as no one is doing anything illegal.

Even posting hashes arent illegal....you are describing a file, not saying where it is.

Everything that we come across that can be used to identify you apart from stupidity in the above type of post (which would only identify you if ou answered them all BTW) is edited as we come across them... eg Posted IP address', Private FTP's etc etc... inc any illegal stuff.

This type of editing is as much to protect the members concerned as it is to protect the board. There is nothing in any rule saying you cant post your IP address for example, however i would feel i was letting the members down, and im sure the other Mods/Admin feel the same way, if i left the stuff there for the world to view...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast