Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Mel Gibson's 'passion' Incite Anti-semitism?

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I saw an interesting debate on CNN between a Christian chap and a Rabbi. The Rabbi feels Mel Gibson's film portray's Jews very badly and will bring a return to the old medieval "Christ-killer" stereotype.

The Christian chap was, I think, just grateful that somebody had made the movie and effectively dismissed the claim saying it would make people more pro-Jewish.

As a complete aside he also claimed that this had been the observed effect from a Christian network film on Jesus which has been seen by 5 billion people. At this point I thought he had simply got his numbers wrong, but he then said only 1 billion have still to see it, clearly showing he was talking about the world population. ???? Quite how they got all 2 billion Chinese to watch it, the 1 billion Indian Hindus and the 1 billion Moslems is quite quite beyond me. I have never seen said movie (whose title I unfortunately can't remember). However, I suspect as a piece of empirical evidence to support his argument that the Mel Gibson movie will not adversely affect the Jews is, at the very least, disingenuous.

I have only seen clips of the movie, but it looks true Mel Gibson, lots of colour and atmosphere. Any views out there?

A previous controversial movie on the Passion (which I really liked) The Last Temptation, did not, as I recall, have an adverse effect on peoples attitude to the Jews. The Jewish characters in that movie were real people, I believe the Rabbi's claim is that all the Jewish characters in Mel Gibson's movie are dark caricatures of the worst kind.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    Like you I have not seen this film. As I understand it the film has not been widely released as yet. I believe that it is called "The Passion of The Christ" and that it will be available on February 25th or shortly thereafter. If nothing else I approve of the title as it uses the term "The Christ", it never ceases to amaze me how many people think Christ is part of His name as a opposed to a description of who He is.

Correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure you will, but is it not recorded in Latin and Aramaic, with no subtitles. As such the chances of it being seen by huge numbers of people are fairly low.

It was never intended as a "Hollywood Blockbuster" it is more Mr Gibson's Grand Opus. A statement of what he believes, surely that is not a bad thing. One may not agree with what he says, however he has had the courage to say it.

With regard to your complete aside, I totally concur. I find this at best dubious. I have no way of supporting this view. However I think that for such an extravagant claim it is for him to prove it, rather than for us to disprove.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I look forward with great anticipation to the opportunity to see the much-ballyhooed movie.

My impression (not having seen it, of course) is that it is presented to be as literal an interpretation as is possible.

The mere mention of Mr. Gibson's intent to create a film depicting the "Passion" was sufficient to stir the pot six ways from hunger, ay least in the U.S.

I hope the movie is as great as it has been billed by Gibson and it's sponsors, and hope it is not overtaken by all the attempts at spin/prejudice undertaken beforehand.

I cannot speak to the aforementioned claim as to how many have seen it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Poster
    I think if you re-read you will find that

"a Christian network film on Jesus which has been seen by 5 billion people."

relates to something else and not Mr Gibson's work. At least that is my understanding.

Making the claim, if anything, more preposterous.

I could of course have totally missed the mark. It would not be that unusual.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    J'Pol

That was my understanding of the claim. I have heard of neither the said film or the network (I would say that is not surprising except that I am somewhat disturbed to know nothing of someting seen by 5 out of every 6 people on the planet) I rather suspect the good gentleman succumbed to hyperbole in order to convince the Rabbi that we were not going to re-enact 'crystal nacht' on the back of Mel's opus.

Mr. Gibson is a good director and I will no doubt see his movie at some point. I will, of course, now be curious as to whether I can see the Rabbi's perspective. He seemed quite concerned regarding the treatment of Jews in this specific movie (as opposed to other movies on this subject).
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Biggles@25 January 2004 - 03:18
    J'Pol

That was my understanding of the claim. I have heard of neither the said film or the network (I would say that is not surprising except that I am somewhat disturbed to know nothing of someting seen by 5 out of every 6 people on the planet) I rather suspect the good gentleman succumbed to hyperbole in order to convince the Rabbi that we were not going to re-enact 'crystal nacht'  on the back of Mel's opus.

Mr. Gibson is a good director and I will no doubt see his movie at some point. I will, of course, now be curious as to whether I can see the Rabbi's perspective. He seemed quite concerned regarding the treatment of Jews in this specific movie (as opposed to other movies on this subject).
    I suspect that you will be one of the few who can manage without subtitles.

To be honest my Aramaic is at best rusty. When the film is available I will give it my best shot.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    No, Jesus was a jew killed by jews.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by J'Pol@25 January 2004 - 02:49

To be honest my Aramaic is at best rusty. When the film is available I will give it my best shot.
    See mate we got loads in common. I got a CSE grade 9 in English!!

We is a linguistic dynamic duo.
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Mr Hand&#39;s Busy Right Now&#33; So Talk To Mr FOOKIN FINGER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</span></span>

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    My recollection is that the film has been presented only to a select few media types.

Those who have seen it report (uniformly, and apparently including the Pope&#33 that any fear of anti-Semitic content is unfounded.

The other numbers must be someone&#39;s attempt at deflection; might have the effect of forestalling protests, somehow.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Just in passing...

The movie is subtitled and will open here in the US on two thousand screens, making it the widest release of a subtitled film ever.

I have yet to even see a clip of the movie, but find it amusing that it has generated so much contraversy for so long ( seems like I&#39;ve been reading about it for nearly a year) without it ever being seen.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast