Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Do we need our own Movie Database

Originally posted by Ardor@3 March 2003 - 00:16
    The way they set it up here, looks quite good and straight-forward. Just look at the individual collections (ed2k only, I'm afraid).
    @Ardor: Agreed. Aestethicaly it's more or less what Tilen_76 suggests. However the main thing is that the base is searchable.

I wouldn't forget adding subtitles and nice big fat dvd fronts.

And info about movie can simply be GSpot (2.1) readout (check Export option) like:
    Video format: %F %J\r\n Audio format: %L %N\r\n Aspect ratio: %H\r\n

2. Movies & TV   -   #62
    Like your idea about the avatar Tilen.
    Maybe subject for a contest-gallery?

@Ardor : yes that is some awesome site!

3. Movies & TV   -   #63
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Tilen like the avatar idea, is there any ghrapical artist out there that can make one????
    @Ardor, nice site indeed. Don't think we can use the frames with invision. But sure can use the format in which they made that...

4. Movies & TV   -   #64
    tilen76's Avatar Poster
    I like the idea posted above, the codec information could be acquired with GSpot. This could spare us from answering all those question about "Why can't I watch this movie ..." over and over again.

The actual database (list) should be kept as clean as possible, with as little (but still enough) information, where other additonal info would be kept in the Verified post.

I still have this question:
    Is the idea to make the database with only the list of movie titles and links to actual verified post or are we going to build the database with all the information.

Beacuse I would prefer the second one:
    The first post of a particular letter would contain the list of movie titles (with movie year, quality(rip, screener), no. of discs and probably video codec) which would be links to the single replies posted below. Those single replies would contain all the information about the particular movie then and credit to the poster of the movie of course (movie originally posted by "member's name" and link to his/her thread). The discussion about the movie (problems, ...) would then be held in the original thread.

If we are going to do it this way, I suggest we set the rules in the Movies/Verified Hashes on how to post a movie, just to save us from all the additional work later (seraching for additional info). I already suggested on how in one of my posts above.

I know there are lots of movies already posted and for those the team would have to search for all that info once the database is going to be build. This will probably going to be the hardest work.
    But if each member of the team handles movies beginning with few letters, I think we could acomplish that pretty quick.
    The biggest problem would probably be finding codec information, since you actually need to have the movie on your hard drive (or CDr) to do that. But we could ask people who have those movies to do that for us. I only have around 95 movies stored on my HD and CDs, but I know few members of the board who have well over 300 movies.

I think we got some people who are good at graphics. This is the thread about FuNkY's room and it seems that the guy who did that got some skills. Why not ask him.
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...=18000&hl=funky

5. Movies & TV   -   #65
    Since board is based on PHP-software developers might want to take a look at
    this link :
    phpmyadmin

(open source software for databases )

I imidiately have to admit that this is not my area of expertise.

In example pages you see how fields can be set up;
    I think that could come handy for posting (required fields / extra info / viewercomments)

6. Movies & TV   -   #66
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Looks interesting but i'm not familiar with that to, i even don't know if this board can handle this well.
    Maybe that's something for the future 1st i like to organize the data. But just in case someone says i can make a real database using php software, don't hasitate to do so. B)

7. Movies & TV   -   #67
    tilen76's Avatar Poster
    I have a question regarding the board features.
    It would we fantastic if we could have a strip of links for each letter under all Movieworld categories on top, saying something like:

"K-Lite movie database"
    # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
    Where each leter would be a link to its own thread posted somewhere in the Verifieds in a Can.
    The threads would be locked of course, only accesible to the Database crew.

Is that possible? Can you discuss that with Paul jetje?
    Because I don't think that 27 (for each letter) pinned topics would look nice.

Now regarding the database itself. I have posted a test thread under Verified hashes, to give you an example of my idea. It's posted here:
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...ST&f=16&t=19383

1. The first topic in each thread (for each letter) would be a list of movies:
    - Movie title would be a Sig2Dat quicklink. If the movie has two discs, the Sig2Dats can be merged as one link, without affecting the actual HASH. I will post a guide on how to do that too later. We would have to rename the bits between <a href=...> and </a> into "Movie title (year)". This way the list wont be confusing and movies would be easy to spot.
    - next to a link would be few extra bits of info: quality (DVDrip, DVDscreener, ...), no. of discs and perhaps video codec
    - in front of the movie title (link) would be a picture being a link to the reply about the movie containing all additional info. I believe urls to single replys are possible?

2. Each movie would then have its own reply with all the extra info:
    - Amazon picture
    - Plot outline (copied from IMDb or written by original poster of the movie)
    - perhaps IMDb movie rating (evethough I personally don&#39;t think they are reliable)
    - IMDb link
    - Hybrid Sig2Dat
    - codec, aspect ratio and bitrate info (exported from GSpot in a standardized form)
    - link to orginal post in the Verified hashes with credit to original poster
    - ed2k quicklinks if avaliable
    - and maybe a picture from VCDquality.com (if they don&#39;t mind)

You can only post 10 pictures on 1 reply and when there will be more than 10 movies beginning with the same letter this could be a problem. If we can set the number of pictures to "unlimited" for the database or we will have to put down just a text link to the movie details. Jetje, can you discuss that with Paul too?

This is my idea of how this database should look like.
    Now I want to hear critics, suggestions, corrections and your ideas.

You can look at how my idea looks at this test thread:
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...ST&f=16&t=19383

8. Movies & TV   -   #68
    Poster
    @jetje: you mean like sig2dats site ? Haven&#39;t had a look over at how far they&#39;ve come, but it looked nice last time. There were some talk back then here and here

phpmyadmin is a really nice web-ui for db maintenance and so on, I use it for maintenance of all databases at my old school (as well as for my home-linux). But it&#39;s not really anything to use for designing and setting up databases. If you want to do that I suggest you take a look at DeZign for databses. With it you can design the database on the fly and generate the text-statements and import them into your. f.ex mysql database, to create the database structure. I haven&#39;t checked on the newer version but I don&#39;t think it has gotten worse =) You can download a trial from here http://www.datanamic.com/download/download_dezign.html to check it out.

9. Movies & TV   -   #69
    tilen76's Avatar Poster
    Don&#39;t mind the ed2k links in the test database I posted. I haven&#39;t noticed the error before I asked jetje to close the topic.

Consider it as non working database for the moment, but you do get the idea though.

10. Movies & TV   -   #70
    - test -
    B)

@danne: We would like to create a database that would be part of the forum. We are not actually building a separate database, but one that would be integrated into the forum.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast