Thread: D: Drive Disappearance

I'm tearing my hair out...uninstalling tis program that came with my PC, CDEasyWriter seems to have uninstalled my D: drive as it doesn't show up on my PC anymore. I have a yellow exlamation mark over my Sony driver in the device manager (the file is corruputed, code 39), and uninstalling and reinstalling it as per XP's trouble shooting guide didn't help. It says there was a problem installing it and it may not work (gad&#33.

The troubleshooter offers no further help.

I've been to Sony's site, no help there. Back to MicroSoft to see if there might be an update to the driver.

Nope, it says the one I have is the most current and won't reinstall the non-corrupt version.

I also did a revert to January when things were working fine under Nero, but the D: drive is still missing.

Can anyone walk a non-technical person through this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Well, I'm not a complete geek, so I'm not totally sure if this will work, but here's my solution:

1: Open up your tower/desktop and have a look to see if the IDE cable is still plugged into the back of your D: (re-writer I presume?). Now, the IDE cable is the flat, wide, white one, which should be the biggest cable going into the back of your CD Re-Writer. To insert it (if it isn't already inserted), make sure the red stripe down one side of the cable, is pointing to the lead coming from your power sourse to your CD Re-Writer (should be the most colourful one out of the lot, red, yellow and blue cables as I remember).

If your IDE cable is still inserted then,

2: (I presume you have System Restore enabled?)

**************Create a restore point before you do this!!!*************

Uninstall your sony driver (I don't use XP, so I'm not totally sure on this, but you should be able to right click your driver with the ! next to it and click uninstall, or something like that) then re-install your drive by:

(1): Restarting after the uninstallation of the drivers.
    (2): If the computer doesn't pick it up automatically and try to install the
    drive itself, then go into the Add/Remove hardware installation section
    of control panel.
    (3): Hopefully the auto detect will pick it up, otherwise, you will have to try
    and install it by picking from the list and I have absolutely no idea what
    the XP hardware list looks like

3: Try and install the CD Re-Write drive through the Add/Remove hardware section of Control Panel without removing your drivers.

4: Unplug your IDE cable, restart, plug the cable back in (to the back of your CD Re-Write), restart again, hope to god Microsoft have done something right and the PC will pick up the CD Re-Write drive, all the same, don't get your hopes up If it does auto-detect and installs the drive, you may have to delete the old drivers.

I hope I haven't totally confused you

Best of luck too!

SiNi*F8

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    DARKSHADOW's Avatar Poster
    u could also try the roll back to previous driver function in the drives properties,and check the ide controlers are installed correctly

hope u sort it!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Shucky@2 March 2003 - 17:24
    I'm tearing my hair out...uninstalling tis program that came with my PC, CDEasyWriter seems to have uninstalled my D: drive as it doesn't show up on my PC anymore. I have a yellow exlamation mark over my Sony driver in the device manager (the file is corruputed, code 39), and uninstalling and reinstalling it as per XP's trouble shooting guide didn't help. It says there was a problem installing it and it may not work (gad&#33.

The troubleshooter offers no further help.

I've been to Sony's site, no help there. Back to MicroSoft to see if there might be an update to the driver.

Nope, it says the one I have is the most current and won't reinstall the non-corrupt version.

I also did a revert to January when things were working fine under Nero, but the D: drive is still missing.

Can anyone walk a non-technical person through this?
    if all fails try to shut off cpu open it up pull out power plug to cdr turn cpu back on then turn off agin then plug power back in to cdr then turn cpu back on you will get a message saying new hardware found it will load generic drivers for the cdr then you can update drivers from windows update or from the manufacture good luck

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thank you for your help...it's very late, and I have to teach out of town tomorrow, but will work on this first thing on Wednesday...I will let you know how it worked out.

Thanks again very much. I will think of something nice to put in my share file when I'm all finished sorting this out!

Shuck