Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Case Out Of Wood

i was on a quest to find the perfect case for me, and havnt found one yet, the lian-li cases have come the closest, but still not what i want. so im on another quest. to build the perfect pc case out wood. im wondering if it will be possible? i already know how to do it, and the dimensions, but will a wooden case hold up good (im going to be using pretty hard wood) and be able to withstand the heat (it will be pretty cool.... 30-40c max. and will everything work right if i do everything right.

questions/comments wanted..
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    yeah, it would work alright...the best cases are the ones you can BUY...there freaking GORGEOUS! lol but the heat wont be a problem i wouldnt think

These are nice

This is gorgeous
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes, it will work.
    Heat is not a real issue.
    Wood is a great sound absorber so a properly designed case would be very quiet.
    I've seen several very nice wooden cases.

Edit: Dawg, those are just standard cases veneered with wood. They are nice, but to me that's almost cheating....
    Plus, I'd be concerned about the veneer splitting as the the sheetmetal that it's glued to is very flexible.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Clocker you are right about the second link, the main give away is that they look EXACTLY like the enermax cases, and the cheiftec cases. We know that Cheiftec doesnt make a wood case of its dragon series, and you cant just copy their design, so thats the only expliation left.

As for wood cases, I have heard that they actually dissipate heat alot less easier than the aluminum cases. For once thing, most wood case designs dont allow enough room for all the fans, and air intakes and exhausts. Plus, im pretty sure wood holds in heat rather well. So I think temps would be a bit higher in wood cases.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    of course they work. they sell em on frozencpu.com

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@26 January 2004 - 18:04

As for wood cases, I have heard that they actually dissipate heat alot less easier than the aluminum cases. For once thing, most wood case designs dont allow enough room for all the fans, and air intakes and exhausts. Plus, im pretty sure wood holds in heat rather well. So I think temps would be a bit higher in wood cases.
    That would only be a problem if you didn't take your material's properties into account when you designed the case.
    It would probably be a mistake to design a wooden case just like a standard steel one.
    But, given the proper amount of thought and research I think you could make a kick-ass case out of wood.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    one problem with wood being used for a case. for the case to be sturdy, it has to use strong wood, and using strong wood means a very heavy case. well im not gonna be using this thing for transport, but just a thought. i am going to build a computer case out of wood, if ya'all want ill draw up the layout for ya'all to check out in paint. so you can see what i want, and see why nobody has anything like it. im also gonna want opionins from clocker on the layout ive chosen, as he seems to know a lot about cooling.

heres the best i can do for now:

in the front, 3 5.25" drive bays, 1 floppy bay, and spots for 2 92mm fans. in the side panel on the right, theres gonna be a side window, and sopts for 2 80mm fans, one towards the front bottom, and the other towards the back top. in the other side panel, im gonna have a spot for a 120mm fan right behind the cpu socket. in the top panel theres going to be room for 2 80mm fans side by side, about an inch away from where the psu will mount, in the back panel theres is going to be room for 2 80mm fans. the bottom is going to be about 3/4" off from the desk/table/whatever its sitiing on, and will have room for 1 80mm fan towards the front, and 1 120mm fan where the agp/pci slots are going to be. im building this case with room in mind, so there will be helluva lot of room avaible, and there will even be enough room to mount a second powersupply (side-by-side) (not thatd id ever need it.. but useful none-the-less). im gonna try getting some layout plans in paint, and post them here, but im not sure im gonna know what im doing.

questions/comments wanted..

edit- btw, im going to be using these fan grilles for all the 80mm fans:

i still need to find some cool ones for the front 92mm ones, and i still need one for the side panel 120mm one.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Forget the floppy bay and convert all your 80mm fans to 92s or 120s.

Now get drawing.

one problem with wood being used for a case. for the case to be sturdy, it has to use strong wood, and using strong wood means a very heavy case.
    This is completely untrue. Proper design and attention to grain direction and wood species allows for a very sturdy case with a minimum of weight.
    Do not confuse mass with strength.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    ok bear with me on these pictures,
    heres the front panel
    http://www.geocities.com/tr1536/fontpanel.GIF
    heres the back panel
    http://www.geocities.com/tr1536/backpanel.GIF
    heres the right side panel
    http://www.geocities.com/tr1536/sidepanelr.GIF
    heres the left side panel
    http://www.geocities.com/tr1536/sidepanell.GIF
    heres the top panel
    http://www.geocities.com/tr1536/toppanel.GIF
    and heres the bottom panel
    http://www.geocities.com/tr1536/bottompanel.GIF

i know, no lines where the end of stuff is. but its a basic design (as u can tell nothing is lined up).

remember ya'all. you MUST copy & paste, cuz geocities dont allow hot linking.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    You are avery special person.....

LOL looks nice, but are you sure you just want to make a case that looks like all the others???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast