Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pc Had To Be Wiped And Win Xp

i have a xp boot disc is FDISC on that?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@29 January 2004 - 14:57
    i have a xp boot disc is FDISC on that?
    Just use the xp boot disk and go to the partition selection screen and wipe out all the partitions.

Or try to do a "chkdsk" using that command to check the drive for any errors or bad sectors.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Originally posted by shn@29 January 2004 - 22:07
    Or try to do a "chkdsk" using that command to check the drive for any errors or bad sectors.
    i tried CHKDSK and it checked the A drive and nothing else i also tried SCANDISC and it just checked the A (floppy) drive as well.

in FDISK section 4 it just says NO PARTIONS on this disc.

it says nothing about the name of it.

about 20mins ago i just stuck in a legal copy of XP HOME and it started to work i selected the partion i wanted any everything then i choose FORMAT FULL WITH NTSK or what ever its calld and at about 15% pc just turned off and is back to its usually way.

im sure its not my copy of XP cause i have a perfecly not scratched legel copy of HOME and slightly scratched copy on PRO that has worked before.

im still in need of major help cause i aint got any money to get it repaired professionly.

:helpsmile: :helpsmile:
    :helpsmile:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    bump :helpsmile:

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Check all the connections inside the 'puter to make sure they are all made and if that doesn't change anything I would say the HD has failed and you need to purchase a new one.

Edit: last but not least, you could try to flash the firmware of the HD from the manufacture.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    all the connections are in properly.

but isnt it wierd that 2 hard drivs of 2 different makes (maxtor and seagate) both fail at the same time.

does anyone know a way to totally format a hard drive 100%

also i no this may sound stupid but does the pc hav like a mini hard drive of its own which wod tell XP everytime i try to install that a file is fucked up or something?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    also i think this is more hardware than software so could a mod please move this back into hardware world

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by peerzyboy+31 January 2004 - 18:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy &#064; 31 January 2004 - 18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>but isnt it wierd that 2 hard drivs of 2 different makes (maxtor and seagate) both fail at the same time.[/b]
    Only if they&#39;ve failed. I don&#39;t think it&#39;s the HDDs.

Originally posted by peerzyboy@31 January 2004 - 18:19
    does anyone know a way to totally format a hard drive 100%
    Yep, type FORMAT <drive letter>: at a DOS prompt.

<!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy
    @31 January 2004 - 18:19
    also i no this may sound stupid but does the pc hav like a mini hard drive of its own which wod tell XP everytime i try to install that a file is fucked up or something?[/quote]You&#39;re right, it sounds stupid.

Windows XP&#39;s installation does not require a partitioned and formatted HDD; if you have a new & untouched drive in your system when you run the XP install, it&#39;ll ask you how you want to partition and format the available disks, then do it. I know because I&#39;ve done it this way.
    You could use FDISK to remove all partition information from the drive then just run the XP install if you wanted.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    iv tried:
    FORMAT {every letter on the keyboard}:

iv been to FDISK and deleated any NON DOS partions

and it still fucking bombs out.

but sometimes not in the same place.

the places it does it are:

1)while its loading files rite at the start b4 u can even select where to install
    2)on doing a full format with NTSC (or whatever it is) NOT QUICK
    3)after it asks me for my name and the time and stuff like that the pc just reboots.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

im thinking that im gonna hav to pay to hav it fixed

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    go into fdisk, delete all partions, dos and non dos etc, so there is nothing there, create a new partition using all space, btu dont format it. now boot using ur winxp disk, run the setup, use ntfs type disk, and quick option, see if that works.

also u cant format the drives as there are no drives defined, eg partitions

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast