Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Built My First Computer Today...

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    OK I installed latest NVidia drivers and problem solved. Thanks

@james_bond_rulez - Did you not see the Sony DVD writer? And why is the warranty useless?

At the moment I also have no audio but gonna look through the drivers and utilities CD that came with the mobo and see if I can fix that...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Double Agent
    he oc'ed it didn't he?

EDIT: if u wanna oc ur cpu do it in increments, 1Mhz at a time. I am sure there are safety locks to prevent the board from melting if u oc too much by freezing the machine. also make sure u get some good hs and fan on that cpu of urs

doh my bad it's all black didn't see it there

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Not overclocked it yet, but I might try at some point - apparently this chip overclocks very well. Screw the warranty

The board does have heat sensors so if the chip gets too hot the comp will just shut down. Hopefully I can't do too much damage, as long as I do my research first.

Fixed the audio now and I'm all up and running - I seriously thought I'd have so many problems and questions in this forum but the whole thing went pretty damn smooth B)

Not trying to sound too smarmy here but I'd never have done it without you guys and this forum. If it weren't for you I'd have been buying a crappy pre-built from PC World at twice the price. I did an Advanced GNVQ in IT a couple of years back and learned hardly anything compared to what I've learned on this board in the year I've been here.

So even if I never talked to you directly, I probably read some of your posts and they taught me something so thanks and cheers to all :beerchug:

sorry, like I said I'm in a good mood today

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@27 January 2004 - 17:44
    he oc'ed it didn't he?
    He said:
    (I might try that later ).
    So, no I don't think it's overclocked.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@27 January 2004 - 17:44
    EDIT: if u wanna oc ur cpu do it in increments, 1Mhz at a time. I am sure there are safety locks to prevent the board from melting if u oc too much by freezing the machine. also make sure u get some good hs and fan on that cpu of urs

1Mhz at a time is a bit too safe...go like 5 for a while then maybe 3...or like me..go 15...then like 50 at one time haha...and your stock HS/F should work GREAT!
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    nice comp. u should oc that cpu for sure. at least to 3000

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+27 January 2004 - 19:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx @ 27 January 2004 - 19:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-james_bond_rulez@27 January 2004 - 17:44

1Mhz at a time is a bit too safe...go like 5 for a while then maybe 3...or like me..go 15...then like 50 at one time haha...and your stock HS/F should work GREAT&#33; [/b][/quote]
    lol reminds me of my friend last week, he tells me to come over to show him how to overclock but his multiplier was locked so all he could do was his fsb. He had good temps at the time so decided to just put that up, so he goes from 133 to 200 in one go to see what would happen and went to windows and all was okay and he thought he was so cool with such a fast cpu then checked his temps and they were at like 60 and he screams and shuts the thing off for a while then i reset his cmos and started it back up and he was ahppy when it was back at 39 lol.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    I have to say what seems best is this guys attitude... i predict great things from this boy... great things... :helpsmile: hehehe

And the finsihed looked clean too... very nice Bravo Chap Cheers&#33;&#33;&#33; you deserve a beer after that&#33;&#33; :beerchug:

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Okay thought I&#39;d bump this thread cos it already has my specs etc. in it.

My machine has been running fine for about a week, it&#39;s on 24/7 and with only a few reboots in that time. Today it froze for about 30 secs and then the screen went to 640*480 resolution and 16 colours or less and told me of a device failure and that i should reboot.

In Event Viewer the problem was:

I&#39;ve obviously experienced crashes before on my old comp but seeing as this is mine I&#39;m more interested to actually know what the problem was. I suppose that device is my video card, right?

Is it anything to be concerned about?

I should add that I have also overclocked the processer now, a Barton 2500 now running at an FSB of 190 and multiplier of 11, although I haven&#39;t overclocked my video card (Abit Siluro Ti4200 AGP 8X 128MB).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    it froze from a driver problem. what driver are you using? do you have the latest one? if not get it, if you do then just wait and see if you get the problem again and if you do try older versions of the driver.

oh and btw, which cpu heatsync is better, the one that skillien has on his cpu (its a stock one) or the other stock one with the green fan and really thin fins on it that feel like they could break right off if you bent them. (youll see his heatsync by going up and looking at one of his posts with a pic of the inside of his computer (all that is there is the motherboard and cpu and psu))

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast