Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zl4 Files...

Poster
    I've been downloading some eBooks tonight (from the newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book.technical). Most of the downloaded books are *.pdf, *.zip or *.rar files, however, a large number of them (51 files, 164MB) are seen as *.zl4 files. After doing a little research, I've found out that these *.zl4 files are most likely *.chm files, however, I'm not sure and want to make sure I'm not in any danger (the files are mostly on programming (c++ and java) but some are on 'dodgy' areas of computing...

Does anyone have any experience dealing with these *.zl4 files? TIA for any help/advice
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    Umm this is kinda off-topic but how can you connect to those newsgroups? They don't conect for me. They worked a week ago though. About your original problem I can't really help though this site http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=ZL4 sais they're for ZoneAlarm Mailsafe.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    I found this link which explains what's going on, I think it should be ok just to rename them to chm and have a bash...

Take a look at the link in my sig for some more info on newsgroups. Do you know if your ISP offers a feree Newsgroup service? If you're unsure, try their homepage or tech support...
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    I don't know if my ISP has one but I'll look it up. But I'm using NewsBin Pro to connect to news://newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net but I can't download an updated group list or connect to any of the groups already listed.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by stupidguy@31 January 2004 - 04:52
    I don't know if my ISP has one but I'll look it up. But I'm using NewsBin Pro to connect to news://newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net but I can't download an updated grouos list or connect to any of the groups already listed.
    I was trying to help out another member here with newsgroups last week and I suggested he try that server address. However, he couldn't get it working either, I think the company who services this feed are blocking out users. Try and find out about your own ISP though, they should offer a service (though the quality of binary files and/or retention may be very poor)

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Okay thanks. I have a pretty common ISP(in the UK) there site is www.ntlworld.com I can't find anything about newsgroups on there but I'll keep looking. Now enough talk about nesgroups since this is Bookworld.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by stupidguy@31 January 2004 - 05:02
    Okay thanks. I have a pretty common ISP(in the UK) there site is www.ntlworld.com I can't find anything about newsgroups on there but I'll keep looking. Now enough talk about nesgroups since this is Bookworld.
    news.ntlworld.com

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/settings.htm

Don't get your hopes up too much, I used to know someone on NTL and he didn't get very good results. Worth a shot though, eh?

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Thanks, so do your books work fine now then?

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by stupidguy@31 January 2004 - 05:08
    Thanks, so do your books work fine now then?
    Not tried yet, to be honest, I've been checking the others first, but I'll get round to trying out the other ones soon
    Good luck with the newsgroups

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I had a zl4 file once. It was from my firewall renaming a WinZip .exe that came through on my email. I knew who sent it, and I knew what it was (in fact I asked for it ) but it's a safety-protection. If you trust that the source is reliable, throw your dice.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast